Thursday, March 18, 2010

It was a good opening day for me and my respective March Madness pools. And, as always, remember this as you are watching. The higher seed always wears white.

What is going on with the Big East? Ohio almost puts up 100 on Georgetown, Villanova (who I thought would exit early) barely beat Bob Morris, Notre Dame was exposed as a fraud, and the track meet that was Washington-Marquette ended with a loss for Marquette. I have Louisville leaving early, Pitt only winning two games, and Syracuse not making the Final Four. I do, however, have West Virginia in the Final Four.

Outside of Georgetown, I thought the poorest effort was by Richmond, who I thought would knock Villanova out, and now they are going home. Everyone seemed to also be on UTEP against Butler. But Butler has now one 21 in a row and completely took UTEP apart in the second half. There is something to be said for winning your regular season and conference tournament, as Butler did.

My Final Four pick of BYU almost ended as they played in the first game of the tournament and had to go to 2 OTs to beat Florida. Ruh-roh.

Without question, the dumbest team I saw all day was Texas. (Can you tell I picked those losers?) Blew an 8-point lead in OT. To effin' Wake.

Your recap here.

Friday's winners:

Michigan State
Maryland
Georgia Tech
Ohio State

Syracuse
Florida State
Minnesota
Pittsburgh

Temple
Wisconsin
Missouri
West Virginia

Duke
California
Texas A&M
Purdue

Meal of Links

You know if you need to cash your checks at something other than a payday lender, try Wal-Mart. Cheaper fees.

As I was watching March Madness today, who shows up? Why it's Murray from "Flight of the Conchords" on an HP commercial. Murray? Present.

Sometimes you stumble upon a movie where an actor shows up for one scene and steals the movie. Rare when it happens. But that's Alec Baldwin in "Glengarry Glen Ross". "A...B...C. a always, b be, c closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!".

Clapper outtakes from "Inglourious Basterds". Very funny.

Alex Chilton died yesterday. So, let's listen to...

"Alex Chilton"/Paul Westerberg



Exercise Yard

The Best Nicknames in Sports. They are all here. From "Pocket Hercules" to "The Black Widow" to "The Snake" to "The Pearl".

Visitor

34 Across: Ford Field team (5 letters) Answer: Lions

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes Jeanette Lee always did like the Black Widow.What no Duchess of Doom?(Alison Fisher)another of the Nineball champions.Ewa Mataya the Striking Viking.Yes I know I watch way too much women's pool on ESPN classic.----------------JMK