Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Dad and I headed over to the cinema this evening. We were gonna see Clint Eastwood in "Get Off my Lawn". But, in a last-minute swerve, we saw "Doubt", because it looked like it was leaving the west side after today. And it picked up some Oscar nominations, as well.

"Doubt" is another play turned into a movie. So, there are some rather lengthy scenes. Acting, of course, is top-notch. Hoffman, Adams, Streep are very good. Viola Davis snagged a Supporting Actress nomination in limited screen time.

For me, the memories of a Catholic school education came flooding back. No one got whapped on the hands with a ruler, but there were enough cuffs to the back of the head that made me sit up straighter in my chair. And if you've ever had to kneel down with your arms spread wide holding a huge dictionary in each hand for the major sin of talking in class, you may wonder why that was not depicted in the movie. I guess it wasn't considered torture.

Anyhow, the depiction of wind in this movie is about as subtle as a a sledgehammer. Ooooh, wind....bad things. And I don't think Philip Seymour Hoffman did what he was alleged to have done. You see, I have "Doubt"s.

Meal of Links

Google and the future of books. One of my goals this year is top read more books. I am in the middle of "Nixonland" right now. Pretty good stuff.

Will no "The Dark Knight" as Best Picture ruin Oscar ratings. I don't know, would it make any difference these days? Seems like plenty of stars got nominated. And I'll talk about those over the weekend.

Two priests embezzled $1 million. I have no "Doubt" they did it.

Exercise Yard

Bruton Smith floats the idea of NFL-style blackouts for races at his NASCAR tracks. NASCAR politely says, "Are you insane?". That idea is duh-umb.

Visitor

10 Across: Spice Girl married to Beckham (4 letters) Answer: Posh

No comments: