Sunday, June 29, 2008

As I do every Sunday morning, I read the Plain Dealer religiously. But today's effort drove me nuts:

Wow, big news! Frank Russo hires people he knows to work in the Auditor's office. Groundbreaking. Unlike Pat O'Malley in the Recorder's office, he offered no excuses. I guess we can give him credit for that.

Dick Feagler mentioned Burma Shave in his column today. Burma Shave! Hey, I know what Burma Shave is, but I don't still use an abacus. I mean, how old does today's column skew? 80? 88? OK, I still moo when I see cows at the side of the road and I want the engineer to toot that train horn when I drive by, but seldom do I wax nostalgic about the days of 18-cent gasoline. Christ, I may be the youngest person reading the paper.

If that wasn't bad enough, someone (perhaps a Feagler acolyte) writes the editor and wants to re-enact the blue laws to save gas. Are you effin' kidding me? I'm old enough to remember when the addition of a couple of extra hours on Thursdays for grocery stores was actually debated to determine if it would be a good thing. The first time I ever heard of a grocery store being open on Sundays was when I went to college. Yeah, close everything on Sundays, so we can take those trips to Illinois in Feagler's DeSoto every weekend. The world has gone batty!

Allow me to put my Feagler throwback pants on for a moment. Upon further review of today's paper, did you notice that all of the puzzles (Jumble, Sudoku, Crossword) are going to a new (and I stress "convenient") pullout section known as Diversions? Seems reasonable at first glance, a pullout section. But did you notice the layout? Page One is that damn fold over another section that may overlap by 1/4 to 1/3 of the underlying section. That killed the Taste section on Wednesdays, BTW. I bet it's gonna suck to use any writing utensil because it's not going to be a big enough section, it's probably going to be one page, stretching the limits of the phrase "pullout section". It's like using one sheet from a notepad with no hard surface underneath. Try writing and erasing, if you use pencil, on that! I guess the good news is that Feagler's bridge club gets their man Goren back on this page and can read Judge Parker every day, so they can put away their astrolabes when looking for the Judge. Cardinal Rule: Don't fuck with the Crossword!

Meal of Links

People, you are not bidding on an iPhone. You are bidding on an iPhone Box and Manual. Sheesh! "Damn you, eBay!"

I saw "Get Smart" last night. Nothing special, but reasonably entertaining. I laughed really loud when Anne Hathaway (who looked nothing like Jane Hathaway) had described Maxwell Smart to a villain as a "deaf horse groomer". When the villain told him to do something, he had to answer "Okay" as a deaf person. I know I'm not supposed to laugh, really I do, but I laughed out loud and could not stop. It's stupid, I know, I'm sorry. The other highlight was not movie-related, but an usher, making the rounds, lost control of their flashlight and it sounded as if every part fell out of it and a few were kicked around. Quite the noise...and funny.

McCain does not know the price of gas and can't remember the last time he pumped his own. I'm guessing Feagler's Dad told young Johnny to go inside and get himself some hard candy while he pumped it. BTW, McCain says he doesn't see why that matters.

This weekend was the annual festival at Glastonbury. And, as always, the BBC website does a fantastic job. You can see some sets here, including 30 minutes of The Ting Tings! You can check out The Raconteurs set here. All 35 blistering minutes of it. And in Spinal Tap mode, you can turn it up to 11!

"Wonderwall"/Jay-Z (well, the crowd mainly, at Glastonbury)



Exercise Yard

There will be scalping.
















Today was the finals of Euro 2008. And what better place to watch than the Old Angle. I kinda like the chicken wings there and had some. As usual, a decent crowd showed up for the Spain-Germany match. But there was some housekeeping done yesterday by UEFA. The field is going to expand to 24 teams by 2016. It means England and Scotland probably get a chance to qualify every year. Probably throw Poland into that mix, as well. And that means more euros for all. I rather like keeping the qualifiers to 16. I think the dead weight is eliminated that way. But with revenues up, it's difficult to deny more cash potential.

Euro 2012 is scheduled to be co-hosted by Poland and the Ukraine, but there are the usual concerns over venues. So, Italy and Spain have been put on notice for potential hosting duty. Scotland and Ireland are also awaiting the September decision.

As for today's match, it was a fitting end. I don't think there is any doubt that Spain played consistently throughout the tournament, and really is a gifted squad technically. Germany never quits, but outside of about 15 minutes in the second half today, they never really got the motor revved up. They had some chances during that time, but for the rest of the match were outplayed.

It was a coronation for El Nino, Fernando Torres. One of the best younger players in the game, he scored the only goal of the match. I was surprised at how physical he was today, certainly not backing down an inch. And with David Villa out, he took advantage of the extra space and really was the man today.

The trophy goes to Spain, 1-0.

Visitor

None, it's a beautiful Euro 2008 Final day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WISCKOL: I'd like to ask you a couple questions suggested by voters here. They're not reporter-type questions.


McCAIN: Sure. It'd be a pleasure.

WISCKOL: When was the last time you pumped your own gas and how much did it cost? 


McCAIN: Oh, I don't remember. Now there's Secret Service protection. But I've done it for many, many years. I don't recall and frankly, I don't see how it matters. I've had hundreds and hundreds of town hall meetings, many as short a time ago as yesterday. I communicate with the people and they communicate with me very effectively.


I guess I'm missing it. Where was the question, "How much is gasoline at the present time?"

Typical skew. Turn "How much was it the last time you pumped it?" into "How much is gasoline now?"

Seconds on the koolaid???