Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"Hancock" was on the bill tonight, as my Dad and I ventured over to the Regal at Crocker Park. I thought the trailer for this one looked pretty good and it sorta snuck into theaters today for the "Special Advance Showing". Ads keep touting July 2, so it's a way to beat the crowds and catch it early.

I am running about 60-40 on old "Hancock", which clocks in at a snappy 92 minutes. The good parts involved Will Smith destroying things while saving LA from disaster. Therefore, most of what little humor there is, fell into his lap. I thought Jason Bateman was pretty good as the PR guy who wants to remake Hancock into a more well-liked superhero. Charlize Theron is just OK in her role as Bateman's wife.

I'm still trying to figure this movie out. The CG was pretty lame, I thought, and the plot takes an unexpected turn about halfway through and I'm still determining if it was for the better. At this point, I'm leaning towards no. The plot veered off into heady territory, as if they didn't know what movie they wanted to make. So, the movie suffers from that point forward, at least for me. Like I said, Hancock in any form, before or after makeover, is good. I'm just not sure there was enough of him.

Meal of Links

WOXY counted down the Top Modern Rock 500 again this year. I think it's a good list and you can listen to the archived broadcast.

Bowie, oddly enough, talks about songs by Bowie. This article accompanied a compilation distributed in Sunday's Daily Mail. My Sunday paper contained an Aldi's circular, for a reference point.

AMC is remaking "The Prisoner" into a miniseries. Why not just rerun the originals again? Caviezel plays Number 6. Ian McKellen plays Number 2, lending a ton of credibility to the project.

We may never see a Starbucks on every corner. They've decided to slow down on expansion.

Over half of those who participated in a psilocybin study say the experience was great. Cosmic, if you will.

The New York Times had some info from Heinen's the other day. Looks like Trader Joe's is now competing with something called Fresh & Easy. Sounds like a women's product.

Exercise Yard

I thought this was interesting. An article on baseball in Venezuela.

Visitor

39 Down: Singer Tori (4 letters) Answer: Amos

No comments: