Sunday, November 11, 2007

The mean, yet impossibly empty, streets of my hood this a.m.


















As I walked this morning, I saw an old-timer with a bichon, wearing a sweater. I said, "Hey, how's your bichon doing?" As I was thinking about petting him, he said, "This one? Oh, he's a monster." So, I asked if I could pet the bichon, and he was fine. But alternately described as "loony" and "crazy" by his owner. Nice guy though, but started getting his life story with dogs and had to move on. There's soccer on!

I tried to post yesterday, but was amazed at the Ohio State fans faces during Ohio State's loss to Illinois. Why I haven't seen that look since Michigan was pummeled by Oregon this year. It's another testimony to speed in modern college football. Highlights:

I drank a lot Friday (mostly at the Clevelander, Grape Bomb, anyone?), and I found myself at Ginza. I actually used chopsticks for most of my sushi inhaling. Also, went into that Downtown cemetery to look at a stone for the Carters, the first "White Settlers" of Cleveland. If there isn't a gate, how can that be trespassing when it's dark?

Norman Mailer died. His boxing stuff was always great. His appearance with George Plimpton in "When We Were Kings" was awesome. That's when literary giants could still attend boxing matches and not have to shower immediately. And, of course, "The Executioner's Song" can't be beat. Probably worth a revisit on both.

Also had this phone call:

Me: "Hello?"
Chick: "What are you doing?"
Me: "Cooking."
Chick: "What are you cooking?"
Me: "Chili."
Chick: "Boy, that sounds good. That pizza last night was great."

At this point, I'm thinking, OK, I had to get up early for a haircut this morning and I'm still hung over. I actually had to think if I had, in fact, had pizza or who is this calling me? Then we both realized we were mistaken in who we thought the other one was.

Meal of Links

Shaun Alexander may not be sissified. He's a mole.

Another Republican with a wide stance. This time in Florida.

You know, the UK has its own celebrity trainwrecks. Pete Doherty lends a hand to Amy Winehouse.

Exercise Yard

It's the Browns...Hey, they stole my move!




















The Browns got close today, but couldn't put the Steelers away. In the first half, their first drive was a clinic in ball control offense, taking nine minutes and 76 yards. Then they proceeded to gain only 87 yards the rest of the game, benefiting form a long Josh Cribbs kickoff return and a Brodney Pool for two more first-half TDs, leading 21-9 at the half.

Derek Anderson then played an awful second half. A bit more pressure on him from the Steelers, but no sacks. He just started missing guys that were open. Not good.

Josh Cribbs saved our bacon temporarily with an exhilarating 100-yard kick return after the Steelers took the lead at 24-21. They got that lead after Ben Roethlisberger's 30-yard run. Almost as improbable a run by a QB I've seen, since Vinny Testaverde ran in a 50-yarder with Tampa eons ago.

Then Romeo Crennel wasted not the normal one timeout for a challenge on the Steelers final touchdown. He called a timeout to determine if he would challenge, then when he lost the challenge, he lost a second timeout. His time management/challenge skills are terrible, BTW.

Anyhow, the Steelers gift wrap us a final chance to tie. Because after a Browns punt, they let the ball roll to their own 10-yard line. They run three times as no surprise. A Cribbs return puts the ball on the 38-yard line, but a holding penalty on Darnell Dinkins puts us way back on the Browns 33.

The Browns could only get close enough for a 52-yard field goal, which was short. So, the Browns lost, 31-28. I think the disappointments were: Anderson's second-half play; the defense giving up 8-16 on Steeler third downs and getting outgained 401-163; and an inability to run and the neverending story of not stopping the run, including Roethlisberger this time.

Overall, it does not hurt the Browns chances that much. Their schedule is rather favorable from here out. But it would have been a nice step to grab this one. It was right there for them to take.

Visitor

None, it's a Browns-Steelers day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I now know why they call the bugger a "grape bomb". Oh it is yummy but the explosion happens when you least expect it. I was also in the infirmary for most of Saturday. Thank goodness I had the sense not to taste the sake.

Anonymous said...

You would have thought OSU learned the lesson that speed kills during the Florida game and of course they had to start a fight at the end of the game.