Thursday, November 08, 2007

Last night, Drew and I headed over to O's. Gotta go to O's. When you arrive at Cedar Center going west on Cedar, that Whole Foods Market and parking garage have practically engulfed all of the landscape over there. It's kinda scary. Last night they had andouille florentine as the soup of the day. My God, was that good. And, of course, there was beer.

I don't think Drew and I solved the issues of the world, but we touched on many topics. I wondered about priests on airplanes. Do they wear their collars? We decided: Business, yes. Vacation, no. That evolved into a discussion about priests on an airplane that's about to crash. My question is that if you're goin' down and you know there is a priest in your row, when is the appropriate time to start making your last confession. I think the guy is going to get lots of requests, if things look bleak. My take is you have to turn the iPod off ("What? We're crashing?") and make the first move and say, "Padre. Last rites. Let's go!". None of this "Make sure the children are taken care of, before proceeding with your own" stuff. Then if he didn't have water, could he crush a peanut on your forehead for those last rites? Or throw it at you. It's probably something we should all know.

Then we saw Paul McCartney was taking up with some chick and we decided we could kick his ass quite easily in a fight. Which led to if you had to fight a Beatle, how would you fare? Now, I am talking Beatles in their prime, not present day, as two of them wouldn't answer the bell for Round 1, as we know. And we are not talking about a boxing match, this would be in the no-holds-barred category.

John Lennon: Didn't he used to carry a switchblade. But then became a peace monger. But, back in the day, we decided Lennon would kick our ass. Probably more on principle, than any size ratios or eye gouge capability. The Daily Racing Form Comment: Savaged.

George Harrison: Kind of a wiry fellow. We decided that we would win. Oh, you know you'd be in a battle, probably be bloodied perhaps injured, but would win by enough of a margin that he would give up. The more I think of it, you'd shake his hand, say "Well done!", and proceed to a pub with him. DRF Comment: Fully Extended.

Ringo Starr: No question, we would prevail. Oh, it would be boring, because you know you would eventually win. You'd suffer maybe a scratch or two, but nothing serious, before opening a can of whoop ass on him. DRF Comment: Wore Down Rivals.

Paul McCartney: Minimal effort and no surprise the beatdown on this guy would happen very quickly. Absolutely no contest. DRF Comment: Failed to Menace.

Drew had to bring up the topic of monkeys. You know my credo: "Monkeys make me laugh. Monkeys in clothes make me laugh harder." Sure enough, as we were leaving, a CDW commercial with a monkey was on. Then, of course, there's always Whiplash!



Meal of Links

I visited Marc's today. You know it's the place where you need two cans of beef broth and $40 later, you leave. But there is an Ice Cream Alert: Pierre's pints for $1.25 for another week or so. That's not too bad.

Hey, it's a twofer. First, I find that Conan O'Brien has a stalker who happens to be a priest. And then a Bowie mugshot.

I normally do not watch "30 Rock". But tonight's episode was very funny.

Exercise Yard

11 free agents are named in the Mitchell Report. It seems that this revelation should be bigger news. There is the possibility that a guy you sign might be suspended. Here is the free agent list.

Visitor

41 Across: Acting family name (8 letters) Answer: Redgrave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your priest take. I once was on a Sunday AM flight. As I was approaching my seat, I saw a priest sitting near. I began praying he was not in my row for fear that I would have to make conversation for the 2 1/2 hour flight. How long before I started confessing my many sins, justifying why I missed Mass today, or debating the right to choose issue when all I wanted to do was take a nap. The prayer worked because it turned out he was in a row behind me. He read the bible the whole time. Hey, maybe he wasn't a Catholic priest after all.
Also, I was reminded about my parish priest who went to the Indians fantasy camp a few years ago (a gift from his biological sisters, not to confused with the sisters in the convent). No way to wear your collar with your uniform on the ball field. Even though he was on vacation, he still said Mass in his hotel room each day (I think it is a rule to do so). As people learned he was a priest, some joined him for Mass. It made for a great homily. Also, the fantasy campers get baseball cards, Father sold his for $1 with money donated to the missions.