Saturday, August 18, 2007

Well, I did it. I had my first gyro from an establishment in almost two decades yesterday. You see, the last time I threw up was in 1988 (huge 20th anniversary celebration next year), after eating a gyro. I ordered a gyro from Danis Bakery (used to be Davis, he was too cheap to change the sign...a clue, I think) and the sauce was kinda rank, I guess. Because within an hour or so, I had the most violent of reactions. I had wanted gyros and had been a big fan up to that point, but always shied away since, because of that memory. I believe the only time I had one since was some really good ones, maybe at Paul's once or twice for a Browns game.

After picking up my car from Sunnyside, I was wondering what to get for lunch and there it was, a place I had passed many a time while tooling up and down Ridge Road. Yes, it was Famous Gyro George! Not sure how famous or who George might be, but I went in there, and it was exactly as I suspected. A dive. But there they were, two gorgeous hunks of gyro meat rotating on two spits. Ah, heaven. Not sure what I could handle, I opted for the regular for $5.99. This baby was loaded and they give you the sauce on the side. They also offer a "Big" and a "Super" for one and two bucks more and to be honest, I could not comprehend how large those might be. Fearing the unknown, I went home to eat it, just in case. It was unbelievably good.

Meal of Links

Look at all these things you can make yourself. Unfortunately, how many of them would you want to make? Cuff links, birdhouse, poncho, and rugs don't seem worth the time.

Merv was gay. Big whup. In even bigger news, "Flight of the Conchords" gets renewed.

Uh oh. Hurricane Dean bears down on the Yucatan.

Exercise Yard

Here are some really good sports celebrity commercials. I must admit Shaq and Dr. Phil is funny. And Mean Joe Greene with his "Hey, kid!" is a nice throwback. Tiger as Bill Murray is great. And, of course, Bird and Jordan. Great list.

Visitor

20 Across: Big name in honey (6 letters) Answer: Sue Bee

No comments: