Sunday, August 05, 2007

I was over at Giant Eagle today. The dreaded slow cashier syndrome is in play. This isn't time for the social hour, be cordial, but keep the line moving. Today's cashier seemed nice, but wow...shut up.

She sees someone in the next (not her line, mind you) line and says. "There's my ex-neighbor. Hello, ex-neighbor." The guy says he isn't her ex-neighbor. "Is your name Mark?" "Nope." "Do you have a brother?" "Yes." "Is his name Mark?" "No." At this point I'm mentally pleading with the customer to shut up and not play along as I'm next in line and starting to get a wee bit impatient. "Do you have a cousin?" almost made me leap over the lane with the people's elbow, but I only stared at the woman. Finally, it's my turn.

I was wearing my "Compton is for lovers" t-shirt and I could tell she didn't get it and I was praying she wouldn't ask about it. She didn't. But she's just too slow, as she wonders aloud to no one there, "Is it 9:30 yet?". This is at 4:00 and I guess she's still got a long way to go on her shift. I think, quit talking and maybe it'll go quicker, because each time you look up, I'm still here. As we concluded, she has this gem, "You can save 20 cents on your gas. You're not doing your part, so I can keep my job." I guess that's supposed to be funny. Maybe I need the self-checkout line without humans.

Meal of Links

Here are the remaining movies considered the Best Tearjerkers. I haven't seen all of these, but I am curious about a few that are on this list that didn't affect me. "Ordinary People" was one of those at #19. "Love Story"...ugh. I have never seen "Titanic" at #16 all the way through, but I have it on good authority that waterworks are indeed induced. "Life is Beautiful" at #15 was shocking for me, but Best Friend had the tears at that one. Jeff, "Old Yeller" is #12, you happy? What a concept, boy shoots dog. Even as a non-pet owner, it's impossible not to sob uncontrollably at that one. "Field of Dreams" at #10 depends on my mood. It didn't affect me at the theatre, and I was there with my Dad for that one! We must have been ready to bolt to beat the crowd or something. "Brian's Song" at #7 goes without saying. The only football movie worse is "Something for Joey" and yes, I'm still campaigning for that one. "Brokeback Mountain"? Hey, I was more terrified by the whistler before the movie. "You Are My Sunshine", indeed. "It's a Wonderful Life" at #5, no argument there. "Bambi" at #2? I must have been too young when I saw that, I think I laughed. Number 1 is "Terms of Endearment" and I must say, yep, it's a killer.

Old arts figures who might make good Dead Pool candidates. Remember, they are old.

The PD had this in the travel section. Some state parks have tepees. Tepees! Do you have to act like an Indian? You need $30 of wampum at Hueston Woods.

Exercise Yard















First Saturday of the month and that means Showtime picks up boxing. This was the rematch of Israel Vazquez and champ Rafael Marquez at super bantamweight. The first fight was a classic, but what an entertaining bout this second fight was.

They didn't take too long to start trading blows. The third was the best round I've seen in a long time. Marquez got hurt by Vazquez and it backed him up a bit. Vazquez comes in for the kill, but Marquez, even with a cut flowing freely, gets his senses back and starts pounding on Vazquez. Then they traded the rest of the round. Big-time warrior stuff by both parties.

Vazquez had two really bloody cuts by the sixth, but was hanging in there. Marquez, who had been getting hit with the left a lot, got hit with another one and went down. Vazquez got on him again and they traded a bit, but it appeared for a couple of seconds that Marquez was backing up and he dropped his hands, so the ref stopped the fight. It was probably a controversial stoppage, but I am not really that upset with the decision. I am not saying that Marquez would have been knocked out, but clearly he had some issues at the end.

I'm sensing a trilogy.

Visitor

None, a rainy Sunday.

No comments: