Sunday, August 27, 2006

Outside of Randy Lerner's King-like reception ("Join the Randylution") at today's Aston Villa match, it was another typical Sunday. I yelled at a guy at the bakery, right in the shadow of St. Rocco's. Sorry about that, Rocky. Giant Eagle decided to clean their meat and cheese shelves while I was there, limiting the selection of meat products I wanted to buy. And I got to see homeless guy dipping his arm way down into the garbage cans numerous times near the Stadium. And I don't think he was looking for autographs. Probably got some Stadium Mustard though.

Last night, my Dad and I saw one of my all-time favorite movies at the Palace, "The French Connection", on the big screen. Two Bugs Bunny toons preceded it. Excellent prints of all the films, as well. I like Hackmann in this role as Popeye Doyle. The way it was filmed was rather revolutionary at the time. Big-time documentary feel with lots of handhelds used. Good to see it again.

One of my favorites was the scene where the chemist test the heroin:

"Blast off - one eight O.
Two hundred - Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.
Two ten - US Government certified.
Two twenty - lunar trajectory, junk of the month club, sirloin steak.
Two thirty - Grade A poison.
Absolute dynamite. Eighty-nine percent pure junk. Best I've ever seen. If the rest is like this, you'll be dealing on this load for two years."

Meal of Links

I thought Harry Shearer had an interesting "Le Show" today. A rerun of a good discussion about Katrina with the Deputy Director of the LSU Hurricane Center regarding the Corps of Engineers, the scope of the damage, the idea of "tent cities" after a disaster, etc. Nice time investment.

If you think you like or want to like 20th-century music, here is a good place to start to listen to the best pieces. Copland made the list but not with "Beef, It's What for Dinner".

I thought this a rather unique art exhibit. Photographing toy baseball figures. No bobbleheads. I'd volunteer my Higgy bobblehead for that exhibit. I love Higgy.

Exercise Yard

With "Invincible" now on the big screen, a look back at the best football movies. Hey, no "Something for Joey"? That one made me weep.

Visitor

None, it was Lazy Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What no" Replacements" ?----JMK