Monday, May 01, 2006

I watched "Casablanca" again this evening. I can't put a number on how many times I've seen it, but I've seen this one a lot. I like the Claude Rains character, Captain Renault, because I always thought he had the funniest damn lines. You know, from "Round up the usual suspects." to "She was asking about you earlier in a way that made me very jealous" to "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" He cracks me up all the time. I liked it when Strasser asks Bogie what his nationality is, and he answers that he's a drunkard. Renault says, "That makes Rick a citizen of the world." Very clever.

Other thoughts. Sydney Greenstreet looks pretty cool in a fez. Fez is a neat word and a very underrated hat. And if Victor Laszlo didn't want to be followed when he went to the Underground meeting, how come he wore a light-colored suit and a hat? Could never figure that one out.

Anyhow, Turner Classic Movies is running an unbelievable list of 12 movies with great screenplays today and tomorrow. Sadly, I only found out about it today. I wish I was ill, because "Sullivan's Travels", "The Philadelphia Story" and "His Girl Friday" are being run consecutively tomorrow morning. The humor in those films still holds up. Aaaargh!

Turner also has the War Movie Marathon over Memorial Day weekend. Gots to check that out.

Meal of Links

It's not very often you see the word "testicles" in a headline. Especially one about the NBA. Evans was later fined $10,000 big ones.

Glenn Ford is now 90. When one of the quotes is "Dad has had a series of mini-strokes starting 15 years ago.", you have to wonder about Glenn Ford reaching 91.

The New Orleans Jazzfest concluded its first weekend. More this week.

Exercise Yard

Well, lookee here. The Browns got a grade of A+ for their draft. One of only two A's in the NFL.

Visitor

55 Across: Dutch Renaissance scholar (7 letters) Answer: Erasmus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's see how many people take the bait and put Glenn Ford on their 2007 Dead Pool list.
Good to know the Boss contributed to the Jazz festival this year.