Saturday, May 27, 2006

"How I Spent My Memorial Day Weekend at Giant Eagle" or so it seemed. Today, I am here to tell you, I was the latest victim of the World's Worst Cashier. You see, my local Giant Eagle specializes in cashiers who believe it's the social hour, are ignorant, or plainly don't care.

I was in one line today behind a couple of nuns, until I discovered I was in the dreaded Chatty Cathy's queue. Because I figured an ecumenical conference was going to begin, I opted for the next line, which, of course, I soon regretted. This woman was the slowest, almost turtle-like in her execution. I felt like telling the new arrivals behind me, that when I got in line, it was Labor Day weekend. Good God! Granted, the woman in front of me had a lot of items.

When her final item, a pack of strawberries, was scanned, I started to do the happy dance. But wait, there's an issue. Oh no, price check! I collapse like Elaine Benes on the spot. Then the wait begins. Steve Miller pops into my head, "...time keeps on tickin', tickin, tickin', into the future...". The price comes back and the decision was made that it was scanned correctly. The mensa in line points to the screen and says that's not the price. Her fellow mensa, you know, the person who works there, says, yes, but see the line below, the discount is taken off right there. So, in effect, the cashier has asked for a price check on an item that has not only been scanned in correctly, but the correct price is staring both of them right in the face! I am stunned and utter aloud "You have GOT to be kidding me." Needless to say, after the death stare I gave, she sped from turtle to snail pace.

One more thing about the Iggle. The person who decided that they needed to provide a new type of bag was probably axed. Within the last 2 months, these geniuses started using bags that had the thickness of those rejects that Marc's uses all the time. You know the kind. The ones where if you actually wanted to suffocate someone by placing the bag over their head, they could still breathe, as if unmasked. The last two weeks, I'm sure after loads of complaints, they now put paper bags into your plastic ones for packing purposes. So, the cheapskate who suggested these bags to save money, is now costing them more money by having to use a ton of the paper bags. Look for the prices to go up on my Tomato Basil soup there.

Meal of Links

Looks like Gwen Stefani picked the wrong week to have a baby. Because some couple in Africa delivered one.

You never see much of Michael Jackson anymore. Unless it's time to pick up an award. Still looks creepy.

I knew about this, but failed to mention it. For those who absolutely hated those new Applebee's commercials, the chief marketing guy quit. I'm sure Giant Eagle Bag Guy is under consideration.

Exercise Yard

Tomorrow is a huge racing day. Monaco, Indy and Charlotte. It's also the day America asks the question, "Jim Nabors isn't dead?"

Visitor

16 Across: Nicks on records (6 letters) Answer: Stevie

No comments: