Sunday, April 16, 2006

Having an emergency pop up to postpone Easter dinner allowed me to do some things I didn't expect to do today.

I got to spread mulch by my front bushes today. I was the only one outside in my neighborhood today. Oh, I forgot. My weird neighbor, who does noisy things each holiday (who could forget the famous leaf-blowing episode of Thansgiving 2004), decided to vacuum his car today. Ladies and gentlemen, it's a Focus. Nuff said.

I watched the DVR replay of the Floyd Mayweather, Jr.-Zab Judah fight from the good people at HBO. This was the one where Mayweather's Uncle Roger ran into the ring to confront Judah after Zab hit Mayweather in the groin, followed by a punch to the back of the head, in Round 10. Poor Uncle Roger was engulfed by security and we didn't see much fighting between people who should not have been in the ring. Since this happened a week ago, you know all the details before you see it and are disappointed when it happens. And yes, I watched the whole fight, knowing the outcome ahead of time. Because, that's the way I am. Anyhow, Lamps tries to get special guest commentator, former heavyweight champ Lennox Lewis, to talk about how it is to get hit with low blows. Lennox brought us new info by telling us that, "It doesn't feel good." Thanks!

Also got to see a version of "Our new pitcher is just as good as your new pitcher" during the Indians-Tigers game. I am very anxious for the Fausto Carmona Era to begin for the Tribe at Jacobs Field. He looked very good on Saturday and might be the real deal. Plus, I like the name Fausto Carmona. Say it a few times. Fausto Carmona. Didn't he play in Tito Puente's band? Just don't call him "F-Car". Well, the Tigers had Joel Zumaya pitch the 8th today and, my God, the ballpark was buzzing. He throws real hard, in the upper 90's. Then Zumaya brought out Uncle Charlie to whiff Grady Sizemore and it's all over. If he can consistently throw that pitch, look out.

Looking for something to munch on, I brought out my box of Toasteds crackers. I usually opt for the Party Pack, because crackers are so festive, I guess. It consists of Buttercrisp, Wheat and Sesame. Imagine my disappointment when I only had a few Sesame crackers left. That's like having only peanuts remaining from a box of Cracker Jack. Yuck.

Words cannot describe the reality show, "Survival of the Richest", hosted by Hal Sparks. I guess one rich person is teamed with a Roni Deutch client and they compete. This episode had the contestants pick red peppers on a farm for four hours in 102-degree heat. I'm thinking someone could die and sure enough, 9-1-1 was called for some guy. Fairly insipid.

Meal of Links

The favorite British pop lyric is "One" by U2. The current U2/Mary J. Blige version is Number 3 on this week's charts over there.

It is the 100th Anniversary of the San Francisco Earthquake this week. I think that was the first Big One. But many tourist-y events are happening.

The Archbishop of Canterbury's Easter sermon. His picture leads one to believe that "Nobody beats the Wiz", but the sermon is kinda lengthy. Have to make it worth while for the C&E crowd.

Exercise Yard

Celtic wins the Scottish League. I see the comedian Billy Connolly handed over the trophy. Kudos to Connolly for speaking out against racism, but wouldn't that be like Jim Carrey being involved in some sort of AL or NLCS celebration? Seems odd.

Visitor

None, it's Easter Sunday.