Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The more I read about Andy Marte, I'm thinking Mark Shapiro should star in the remake of the Lowenbrau commercial as in, "Shapiro, you're a genius!". Marte was the Number One prospect in 2005 of Baseball Prospectus, and most everyone thinks he's the next Scott Rolen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. BTW, Spring Training starts in about 2 weeks.

Meal of Links

Went to see "Match Point" this evening. Another free popcorn night at Crocker. I think Woody Allen was rejuvenated in making this film. I do not know if it was a change of scenery or working with a different stable of actors, but he did a nice job with this one. Scarlett Johansson is one fine actress for such a young age. Plus, she's hot. And Woody's movies have enough gaps in the dialogue, so you can make witty comments quite often. And I did. Like the time a short, bald-headed guy was walking in the background and I said, "There's Andre Agassi!". Two disturbing things though. Bryan Cox looks startingly like James Lipton, the Actor's Studio guy. And Emily Mortimer resembled Ashlee Simpson, at least to me. The soundtrack features opera, which in itself is not a bad thing. It's just that I'm sure the tunes chosen had some relevance to the scenes in which they were played, and I'm not an opera fan, so I couldn't grasp those choices.

Gregg Easterbrook of NFL.com has some thoughts on Jenna Elfman. And they are spot on. (Third item from bottom.)

The Oscar nominees were announced today. I thought "Capote" was the best film I saw last year, with "Good Night and Good Luck" a very strong runner-up. Then, of course, one can't forget "Transporter 2".

Exercise Yard

It's always cool to see the old alma mater perform well. Of course, Ben Roethlisberger carries the flag in Super Bowl XL, Wally World is now a Celtic, and Miami hockey is Number One in the nation. Frozen Four, here we come!

Visitor

38 Across: Big name in travel guides (5 letters) Answer: Fodor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see Miami at #1.Nice article on them in Hockey News. All I have to say is remember Ted Cox. JMK

Anonymous said...

The only way we will be contenders for the World Series will be getting lucky on the Martes, Garkos and other minor leagers. Certainly Dolan won't be buying his way in. Hope the Riske for Mota trade-off doesn't bite us. PFS

Anonymous said...

Hey the trade netted us a million dollar, baby. Ahhhh where was that last night?