Saturday, November 12, 2005

Yesterday's horoscope (a three-star day, BTW): Tonight: It might be a while before you can relax. OK, I get that. But while I was at Alesci's last night, we got to horse around with Joe the Scalper's kids. When they go to the jukebox and request "Southern Man" by Neil Young, that is pretty cool. Anyhow, later on, there was this woman (consensus, an alcoholic) who showed up and she was waving a dollar to most of the men there. It was not crowded, but I believe she was showing the dollar and saying she would do anything for some cigs and a drink. Kind of like three guys who'll do anything for a buck. As a matter of fact, she resembled the other brother, Darryl. At first, I was a bit put off because she didn't come by me.

Eventually, she made it into my area and by this time everyone, including myself and my cousin Gale, was telling her to hit the road. So, of course, we start arguing. Why? I have no idea. During the argument, I was able to determine that she was old, drunk, and she claimed she was a veteran from Fort Campbell. Something about her son was also included. Understand, Gale is to my left, drunken female vet is several feet to my right. Then it happened. Just as Gale, who was getting all frosty herself, said, "Just go away." Out of nowhere, here comes a cup of water tossed in which direction? Why yes, that would be mine. Who knows who the intended target was, but if it was me, their aim at Fort Campbell is pretty good. Estimates indicate that if the cup contained 16 ounces, oh, about 15.5 of them wound up on me. Of course, then everyone springs into action, and our friend was last seen in the middle of traffic on East 9th, perhaps indicating that she was number one to those driving by.

No one was hurt and admittedly, it was kinda funny after the initial drenching. I mean the woman, especially if she was a Vet, had some problems and I hope she gets some help. And I like Vets, because they sacrifice a whole lot for us and really Veterans Day seems to have faded along with others, such as Flag Day and Pearl Harbor Day. However, I'd like to see the surveillance video but I'm not happy, because it's filmed from my bad side. I'd like to see that in slo-mo and have the water coming at me with some "Six Million Dollar Man" overdubbing.

So, to recap, while trying to relax, I spent my Veterans Day arguing with an old, drunken female vet from Fort Campbell, who threw water on me. God bless America.

Meal of Links

I saw "Capote" earlier today. Really a good movie, about how Truman Capote came to write "In Cold Blood". Good story about how Capote used the murderers to get what he needed, and how the murderers tried to use Capote to paint a more sympathetic picture of them. Easily an Oscar nomination for Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Incredibly, "Arrested Development" finally gets the boot. Another gem on Fox that was completely mishandled. Why, if I ran that network...

Karl Malone relates how tough it was to get through government channels to help with Hurricane Katrina. He chose to provide help in Mississippi and was, at first, told to hit the road.

Exercise Yard

The old ball coach beats his former team, Florida. The legend continues.

Visitor

22 Across: Adlai's running mate (5 letters) Answer: Estes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ol' Jim getting accosted by some drunken, cigarette smokin' whoor at Alesci's. Too Funny! What did I tell you about hangin' around those places! PFS