Monday, October 31, 2005

If it's Standard Time, it must be Halloween. For the first time in three years, I am distributing candy to all the rugrats who happen upon my palatial estate.

Tonight's rules were:

All kids old enough to shave get Almond Joy.

Heath bars are at the bottom of the bowl, in case of leftovers.

The over/under on kids taking a header over the temporary hoses is three.

Here is what happened:

The good news is only one kid took a header and virtually every kid was polite this evening. I am not kidding, most everyone said "Thank you." No explanation for it, except the kids must have known who they were dealing with.

The only sass I got was from Zorro. I flipped him a Reese's cup and he said, "I don't like that." So, I told him to look in the bowl and find something he liked. He picked Almond Joy! Change that "Z" to an "L", pal.

One of the kids passed the leaking valve of the temporary hoses and said, "Hey, a sprinkler." Not quite.

One of the accompanying adults took this opportunity called Halloween to walk his pit bull. That was a first.

Some older kid dressed as the gayest pirate I've ever seen. And it looked intentional. Very scary.

I'd say I gave out about 130 pieces of candy (Kit-Kat, Reese's, Reese's Stix, Almond Joy, Heath, Hershey chocolate) and I bet maybe 20 went to locals. If you charged for parking for all of the interlopers that showed up, I'd have made up for my betting disaster of Saturday. Maybe.

Meal of Links

"Boondocks" makes it to the little screen.

So much for fence-mending. The Supreme Court nomination of Alito will be a battle. (Watch ad, read text)

Waco pastor dies during a baptism. Somehow, he stood in a baptismal pool and grabbed a live microphone. Shocking.

Exercise Yard

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein chooses the trick, instead of the treat. I wouldn't worry about him. He and DePodesta will hook up with some sorry team. Maybe Philly.

Visitor

45 Down: John who played Basil Fawlty (6 letters) Answer: Cleese

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Brunswick passing out candy. We got a lot of teen girls dressed as saloon girls with garters and bustiers(sp?). Didn't think about dropping the candy on the ground for them until it was too late! Had a few guys come up talking on their cell phone and holding their bags open.... guess they decided to be inconsiderate, asshole cellphone users for Halloween!!! PFS

Anonymous said...

My next door neighbor decided to have a haunted yard this year. He set it up at 2pm and had costumed monsters and a guy swinging from a tree, a body in a colfin, etc. I never heard so many kids crying and screaming! This did not bode well for my house because I kept getting skipped. I swear if I gain any weight from those leftover snack size bars...

Anonymous said...

anybody have Tubular Bells as a ringtone?????