Sunday, June 05, 2005

The temperature is finally getting to an acceptable level around here, so last night was really the first time I had all of my windows open. After the party and catching the replay of the Tszyu fight, I was in shutdown mode about 1:30. But I hear my neighbor's door open and shut a couple of times, so I feel a need to investigate. First of all, I notice their garage is packed to the ceiling with stuff. I'm already sensing these people are strange. Quiet, but strange. Sorta like John Wayne Gacy.

Anyhow, there is this odd green light emanating from their backyard. It's straight out of the X-Files. Keep in mind, their backyard is kinda neglected, so they won't have to mow or anything. But they have one of those fire-pit contraptions, some tiki torches and this thing that has two columns, maybe twelve feet high, connected at the top, maybe ripped off from the Parthenon or something. Yeah, those are common items. I mean Jack White doesn't even have that stuff in his backyard. But, it's the green light that's the killer.

Plus the dude is already out there this morning doing stuff of an undetermined nature to his driveway. Shovels involved, not sure if it's some brick replacement, but the garbage-can-on-wheels is getting a workout. It's amazing how I attract this odd behavior. It's quite the burden I carry, being perfect and all.

Meal of Links

WCBS-FM switches from oldies. And the sun still came up today. The "Jack" format will get to Cleveland pretty soon, I believe. XM has a 50's channel out there, all you disappointed oldies fans.

Keeping with the current trend, Penn Jillette names his daughter, Moxie CrimeFighter. Bullshit, I say.

Here is a guide to help you find music from TV commercials. Glad to see that "Molly's Chambers" did make the list.

Exercise Yard



I don't think I've ever felt worse for a fighter. But Kostya Tszyu got beat...er, thrashed by Ricky Hatton last night. That was not the Tszyu that I loved (he was The Man, for me). My theory is that he thought he'd go up to Manchester, whip Hatton's ass, then retire. I never thought I would see the day when he wouldn't answer the bell for the final round, with his own "No Mas" moment. Russell Crowe was there and couldn't help him. I was absolutely crushed. But, Kostya is first-class all the way and was extremely gracious post-fight, as always. When Al Bernstein asked him about his corner imploring him to stop, he had a wry smile and said, "You didn't hear me complain too much." I think it's over for him and there won't be a rematch. One of the all-time greats. He had beaten 13 former or current champs along the way.

The fight itself was pretty unique. Hatton came out brawling and never stopped. I felt it going the other way during the first two rounds when the ref didn't break them very much. Tsyzu said after the fight he didn't feel like himself and basically said if that's how the fight's gonna be, let's have at it. But he couldn't fire a right with any pop and Hatton sensed it and kept coming. Never stopped for 11 rounds. Tszyu threw two low blows during the bout and Hatton followed the old adage, "When he hits low, you hit low." and drilled Kostya with an intentional shot right around Cincinnati. To do that to a guy of Tszyu's stature showed me something. I sense Tszyu's three bouts in three years and his age finally caught up to him. Hatton now has to come to the States and fight some people.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: