Saturday, May 07, 2005

Today is Derby Day! And what a lovely weather day it is, should be 80 degrees and sunny. And we got to see Thea Andrews' legs on ESPN. After my win yesterday in the Oaks with Summerly (great ride by Jerry Bailey), we'll try to beat the races again today.

Even with the dreaded omen of doom, Bob Roberts picking the same horse as me, I am going with Afleet Alex. I am not sure what else this horse is supposed to do. He had an illness two races ago, but other than that, he has been terrific. I only have one caveat. Not sure about the jockey, Jeremy Rose. His BC Juvenile ride was not good on Alex and let's see if he can handle Derby pressure. Here are the picks:

1st: Afleet Alex
2nd: Greeley's Galaxy
3rd/4th: Probably High Fly, Sun King or Wilko (my old BC pal)

Afleet Alex will have to ride through his pedigree, much like Smarty Jones did. I'm not sure about Bellamy Road. He may be poised to be the next superstar, I am hearing comparisons to Seattle Slew and Spectacular Bid. I'd like to see other big-time wins before sharing company with The Bid. The thing that bothers me about Bellamy Road's chances in this race is the pace. He needs to rate, not sure that he can, especially if they go out in 45 or some insane number. I loved Bandini in the Blue Grass, but the more I watch that race, well, it was just a weird one.

Bets:

Afleet Alex across the board.
Exactas with Sun King, Greeley's Galaxy and High Fly
Oaks/Derby Double: Summerly/Afleet Alex

Meal of Links

To the surprise of virtually no one, Ol' Craiggers got the boot after the interviews on this week's "The Apprentice". Kendra has to stage a video game championship for Best Buy and EA. Tana is somehow in charge of an event for NYC 2012. She seems to feel the Olympic bid hinges on her task, but I really don't think so. And she has an annoying habit of not remembering Amy's last name from the committee. Of course, editing made it seem as if Sony Playstation was going to withdraw from Kendra's event, because their equipment was placed in the basement of Webster Hall. Webster Hall, mmmm, isn't that where the finale is staged next week? Why would they have it there? Unless, of course, Kendra is hired. That must be it.

Got the latest issue of Vanity Fair and it has a very good cover photo of Angelina Jolie:



Or you may prefer her sizing things up in Pakistan:



T-Shirt Hell drops their "Worse Than Hell" category. Some of the racist stuff was really bad and I'm sure there was a backlash.

Exercise Yard

White Sox win seventh straight. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we live with these averages:

Martinez .212
Boone .122
Peralta .207
Blake .207

Doh!

Visitor

1 Down: Best Actor for 1992 (6 letters) Answer: Pacino

No comments: