Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Kentucky Derby played out exactly as I saw it in my mind's eye. I thought Afleet Alex was in a great position to win, but no one counted on Giacomo or Closing Argument to be that close at the end. I have no regrets, he ran the race I'd thought he'd run. But that ended my fantasy stable for the year. I finished 844 out of 24,163.

Of course we now know that Giacomo was named after Sting's son. Jerry Moss, the "M" of A&M Records, is the owner and it was great how he plugged his partner's upcoming album postrace. Of course, that is Herb Alpert. And it was good to see Mike Smith get a Derby win. He's a great jockey and I made money with him and Lure many moons ago. All the finishers combined for eye-popping mutuels, too. $1.7 million for the super? Ay carumba.

If we learn anything from this race, it is that these horses that hit the board had a sound foundation of racing as a 2yo. You can't come in being lightly raced. And, one more thing. Bellamy Road is not Spectacular Bid. Take a look at The Bid's record. I wish they would stop this nonsense.

Meal of Links

Does your network need ratings? Hire Elvis.

I understand that scientists would love to determine how we can live longer. But where's the guy working on how I can retire early?

"It will always be Burma to me."

Exercise Yard

First Saturday of the month, so Showtime had boxing. Corrales beat Castillo in a tremendous battle. It is amazing at how Showtime has stepped up its matches. Next month is the one I've been drooling over. Kostya Tszyu takes on Ricky Hatton in Hatton's backyard. Go Kostya!!

Visitor

None, it's Mothers Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What no "Contender" comments. Jesse knocked out Anthony - the first KO of the series. It's down to the last 4 - Jesse, Gomez, the Snake and Peter Manfredo (that's the guy they brought back). I wonder who Vegas is betting on to win. Maybe I'll check it out next week when I am there.