Friday, November 26, 2004

Isolation Thought

Another Thanksgiving is in the books. I'm announcing that I am a free agent for next year's Thanksgiving. I am auctioning off myself quite early to ensure the best possible Thanksgiving...for me. Here is what I could bring to your table:

1. A decent appetite. (However, I do not eat yams nor cranberries. Nor related items.)
2. Impeccable manners. (Well, at least I say please and thank you.)
3. I provide banter, repartee and even whimsy, if you prefer.

An example of Number 3 from yesterday. The scene: Little kid wants to play Transformer Power Rangers (he had two of 'em) in the worst way with unnamed adult.

Kid: "Will you be evil?"
Adult: "No."
Kid: "Come on."
Adult: "It's a holiday. I don't think we should be evil today."
Kid (in truly a From Mouths of Babes moment): "Well, I know we're both good, but can one us of be a little bit bad, so we can play."
Adult then relays story (I witnessed the original) to everyone, resulting in mega laughs. However, kid puts his hands over his ears (earmuffs!!) and shuts everyone out. His holiday ruined because he thinks all are making fun of him, because of unnamed adult.
Adult (looking at me): "Don't even say a word."
Jim: "Hey, man. I'm Switzerland on this one."
Adult: "Yeah and I'm Nazi Germany."
Jim: "And that poor kid is Poland...in 1939."

So, start the insanity!

It always puzzles me why anyone would go shopping on this day early in the morning. The key is don't look for the "doorbuster" sale types, look for the really good deals you think can last throughout the day. For instance, two insane deals at Best Buy. Spy Sweeper, a really good anti-spam software was cheap along with insane deals on memory for digital cameras. I strolled in after I went to Thistledown and plenty of stock on those items and no lines. See, people tend to hit these stores early or it's a mall day. These stand-alone places work out well. The early part of next week is also a great time to shop. Never understood the early Friday stuff. I'm waiting for the switch to 4:30 openings.

Thistledown was OK. Not a very good weather day. I didn't last very long. Hit a $60 exacta in the 6th and it was get outta Dodge time.

Meal of Links

If you like words, check this out.

This explains why that woman in Akron was so upset that her collard greens were stolen. BTW, I saw this story on Action News yesterday. Did anyone see the 4:00 or 5:00 editions where everyone was wearing a sweater. My God, the old anchor at 4 looked like he should have been smoking a pipe. And the 5:00 crew needed a fireplace as a background. Very strange.

Salma and her Hayeks are worshipped by an entire African tribe.

Exercise Yard

Florida Atlantic seniors decided to skip practice as a stunt. Whoops, they didn't think the coach would be mad.

Visitor

45 Across: Actress Rogers (4 letters) Answer: Mimi

No comments: