Monday, August 02, 2004

Isolation Thought

I don't know why I have ESPN on my brain, but they are in the news a lot today. First of all, they fired David Aldridge, and hopefully, TNT grabs him. David is an excellent reporter and a really funny guy. His humor comes out more on his guest spots on ESPNews, PTI and ESPN Radio. Apparently, he doesn't scream enough for the network. I like Stephen A., but come on, I think there was room for both of them there.

Pat Summerall is subbing for Mike Patrick on ESPN's pre-season football games. Summerall is one of the sport's greatest announcers, while Patrick is pretty pedestrian. Patrick is better on basketball when paired with Dick Vitale (who needs a muzzle) on basketball, but tries way too hard on the NCAA women's tournament.

My favorite, Bill Simmons, gets to run NBA TV for a weekend later this month. I have complete faith he'll be up to that programming task. Hope he gets some air time, as well. Now, if I just had the damn channel.

Next week, former SportsCenter anchors return for a shift. Yes, that means Berman (ugh!). Hell has not froze over, so Keith Olbermann will not be back.

Meal of Links

Young man, Farm Aid goes west. No word on who's playing. We know it'll be at least Willie, Mellencamp and Dave Matthews.

It appears Mark Hacking was aptly named. Never thought of this, but cadaver dogs really have trouble finding bodies at landfills, because of too many competing odors.

The Subservient President. These commands work (refresh to type in a new one): Drink, launch a nuke, draft, Ronald Reagan, John Kerry, halliburton, masturbate, find wmd, osama, terror, prisoner and I've run out of patience. That last one is me talking.

Exercise Yard

Since the Browns negotiations with Kellen Winslow are not going well presently, I thought I'd resurrect this "Going Postons" cartoon. I've heard more than one outlet say he'll be in camp by the end of the week. We'll see.

Visitor

32 Down: Singer Torme (3 letters) Answer: Mel

No comments: