Saturday, July 31, 2004

Isolation Thought

I saw Lurch's speech at the DNC on Thursday. Although it was delivered well, I thought it was an odd speech coming from a Democrat. Fairly militaristic with tax breaks for small business and extremely patriotic. That certainly doesn't sound like the most liberal guy in Congress to me. However, my mental adding machine kept ringing up those numbers. With a Republican congress, I'm not sure any of that plan gets done.

Having said that, the speech pleased the ABB (Anybody But Bush) faction to no end. I'm not sold yet that the undecideds are swinging towards Kerry. Bush is probably gonna take the gloves off soon and the free-for-all will begin. As I keep saying, you cannot underestimate the power of the incumbent. That was in plain view for Bush's visit to town today, when I saw the most menacing of helicopters patrolling the skies along Ridge Road, apparently looking for snipers. I must say, even Cheney has to feel better about his debate after viewing Edwards on Wednesday. Apparently that jury box was too big for Edwards.

All in all, a most satisfying week of political viewing, and it's about 4 weeks until the R's go to NYC.

Meal of Links

The conservative movement among priests.

Mixing art with politics. The Alice Tully Hall gets a mention, and I've always liked the way that sounds.

It appears that a gene may cause myopia. Too much close work, TV and reading help it along. Genius Doc advises kids to play outside.

Exercise Yard

It looks like the end for Mike Tyson. Of course, this is boxing and he may come back. But once the PPV crowd abandons your fights, it's time to hang 'em up.

Visitor

31 Down: Actress Zellweger (5 letters) Answer: Renee

No comments: