Sunday, July 10, 2011

I happened to be going through the dial when I saw the Penalty Kick portion of the US Women-Brazil Women's World Cup quarterfinal. Unbeknown to me, the US scored during Stoppage Time of Extra Time. In the 122nd minute, if you will.

"Major Onions" US Goal by Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery



The Real Call by Ian Darke and Julie Foudy



But when it came time for PKs, what the hell was with the Brazilian goalkeeper? Every shot she is way off her line. Wa-a-a-ay off her line. The ref nailed her on the first US attempt and gave a rekick. The US made that goal and the next four for the win, but I was curious to see if any other US miss was going to be given a rekick.

As for the US during PKs, Hope Solo has to be a bit more careful with her psych jobs. She sits off on the side, unlike most keepers, well out of the way, but on the field of play. She then makes a slow torturous walk towards goal, while the opponent is already lining up their kick. Again, unusual because the goalkeeper is almost always ready before the shooter. She will then do a lot of stretching and gyrations in front of the shooter before she gets on the line. To be fair, once on the line, she is not moving before the kick or still waving her arms, which is really getting out of hand by most goalies. But with one yellow card already in the match, that was too dangerous a time to be messing with the rules.

I am not going to call this the greatest comeback win in any sport, as ESPN already did. It seemed like a great finish but wake me up next Sunday and tell me who wins.

USA wins on PKs, 2-2 (5-3).

Meal of Links

Rutger Hauer is in a new movie. Best title since "Snakes On A Plane". It's "Hobo With A Shotgun".

The power of Rupert Murdoch. Clearly, he sacrificed News of the World for BSkyB.

Chris Hansen's affair probably cost him a job as "Dateline" anchor. Well, when he asks, probably more people know who he is now.

The world of obit writers. Not as humorless as one would think.

8 Secrets About Disney. I was actually in that Club 33 once. I didn't see Depp there, but I had an adult beverage.

Exercise Yard

I guess Travis Hafner's grand slam on Thursday did not propel the Tribe to gerater heights, as originally thought. Don't look now, but the White Sox and Twins are now the closest to the division lead than they have been all year.

I heard Manny Acta pregame and for the first time, I thought, yeah, the Indians may deal to find a bat. Then I read Chris Antonetti's comments and I'm not so sure again.

Visitor

None, on a sunny Sunday.

No comments: