Friday, March 11, 2011

As I mentioned Wednesday, S. and I were at the House of Blues this past Sunday to see Dropkick Murphys. We originally were signed up for the dinner package which allowed us to have reserved seats by the sound board. But she used her feminine wiles to not only get us into the Foundation Room, but we were able to eat our dinner up there, too. Now this is the way to attend shows there, because you are absolved from dealing with the great unwashed.

This was an all ages crowd, because all ages were attending. So, when we occupied our seats, you were literally penned in amongst the crowd. You got moshers about 40 feet away, you got people standing around you amped up on God knows what, while you're calmly drinking your drinks and eating popcorn. Very surreal, because it was sold-out and very raucous.

Off With Their Heads

This was the opening act. I had never heard of Off With Their Heads. Sadly, I got bored with them real quick. Although they tried very hard, I think they stayed on about 3 songs too long. I'd probably use derivative or pedestrian to describe them. And if I hear that Dio-like space riff one more time, my head was gonna explode.

Against Me!

When the show was announced, I was thrilled to see these guys on the bill. I saw Against Me! with the Foo Fighters in Nashville and I liked them very much. But as I watched them, I was wondering. Why aren't these guys headlining? You have a following, you get airplay, you have a charismatic, good-looking dude as your front, you have a great sound, I don't get it.

Against Me! Setlist:

High Pressure Low
Pints of Guinness Make You Strong
From Her Lips to God’s Ears (The Energizer)
Cliché Guevara
Don’t Lose Touch
New Wave
White Crosses
Rice and Bread
I Was a Teenage Anarchist
White People for Peace
Walking is Still Honest
You Look Like You Need a Drink
Turn Those Clapping Hands into Angry Balled Fists
T.S.R. (This Shit Rules)
Bamboo Bones
Thrash Unreal
Sink, Florida, Sink

Dropkick Murphys

The Murphys just tore the roof off the sucka on Sunday. The familiar shifts between the Irish punk/hardcore and traditional anthems are still there. We saw a bagpipe, a flute, a violin, an accordion, a banjo, and other various and sundry items for musical purposes.

This was as intense a show as you'll see, as it was a constant bombardment of tunes. All in all, an awesome show, with the crowd whipped to a frenzied state as soon as "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" from "The Departed" started. A bonus, afterward back in the Foundation Room, was that we got to shake hands with founding Murphy, Ken Casey (the guy who looks like Chuck Booms), after the show.

Dropkick Murphys Setlist:

Hang ‘Em High
Captain Kelly’s Kitchen
Barroom Hero
The Gang’s All Here
Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya
Never Alone
Deeds Not Words
The State of Massachusetts
Memorial Day
Road of the Righteous
Curse of a Fallen Soul
Going Out in Style
Take ‘Em Down
Worker’s Song
Cruel
The Gauntlet
The Dirty Glass
Citizen C.I.A.
The Auld Triangle
Broken Hymns
The Irish Rover
I’m Shipping Up to Boston

Encore:

Kiss Me, I’m Shitfaced
Skinhead on the MBTA
Boys on the Docks

Meal of Links

The tsunami video is insane! 15 largest earthquakes. It did result, once again, in really bad Tsunami TV on our news networks. Ahem, it was dark! I saw the Weather Channel air not one, not two, but three know-nothing interviews with visitors, not residents. And claiming Waikiki was on the Big Island, but correctly identifying it as America. Hawaii updates are here.

The Canine Ten Commandments. Very nice.

The Baltimore cops and the Feds busted a drug ring. And they arrested Snoop from "The Wire". David Simon is sad.

Danny McBride confirmed what we probably already knew. Next year will be the last season for "Eastbound and Down".

Bonnaroo gets streamed this year. By Vevo.

I mentioned Brian De Palma the other day. Here's a primer. Great trailer from "Blow Out" with Lithgow looking menacingly around. Nicolas Cage over-the-top in "Snake Eyes". Why no scenes though?

The "Batting Stance Guy" now branches into comedy. I must say, the Shaughnessy and Boswell imitations made me laugh out loud.

"Baseball" Parody



The interaction between dog and man can't be understated. A slain soldier and his dog return to the UK.

Time to "Spring Ahead" is tomorrow. Is there any real reason why we do still need to do this dance?

More earthquake stuff. From The Big Picture.

Exercise Yard

The NFLPA decertifies. Really, the owners have been pointing to this day for years, what made us think the outcome would be different.

What If Gus Called The World Cup?



Visitor

52 Across: Biblical portrayer (7 letters) Answer: Delilah

No comments: