Saturday, October 30, 2010

Did you ever try cooking popcorn with Coconut Oil? How about trying to find it? Anyhow, I had to get my Halloween candy from Target yesterday, mainly because I could get a pack of light bulbs over there for 50 cents (with a coupon) and I had a ton of candy coupons. So, with Giant Eagle right next door, I went over to the 117th Street complex.

After Target, I go to the Iggle and grab a rotisserie chicken and some other provisions and find myself in the oil/cereal aisle. First of all, they have a shitload of corn oil, then canola oil followed by olive oil. I even saw a small amount of peanut oil, then some sunflower oil. So, as I am mesmerized by these oils, a little kid comes by and says, "Excuse me." I thought she wanted to get her cart by, so I move away and she says, "Excuse me." again. And I said, "What do you need?"

I noticed she was with her Mom and two sisters. The mother wearing traditional Muslim garb. The girl, who I gotta say, had a lot of spunk, then asked, "Can you let us know what cereals we can buy? You know, it's kind of a second language thing.", as she gave me the head nod to her Mom who had the food stamps out. OK, now I get it.

I guess they were allowed a box (any box? sugary good ones, too?) up to the 18-oz. size or, at least, that's what their coupon said. I then realized I don't buy a lot of cereal, but those sizes were all at the bottom shelf and I told them to make sure you get the largest box you can, then I saw the WIC sticker and and had the epiphany of what they could buy.

(Later study showed you cannot load up on the Sugar Smacks. They confine you to the likes of Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Life, Special K and Chex. Looks like Grape Nuts got eliminated on the yuk factor for the kids.)

See, not all my trips to the market are bad ones. And I still can refer to myself as "Ambassador".

Meal of Links

Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert Rally



















There was talk of attending the Jon Stewart Rally in DC today. But after watching it on TV today, I'm really glad I didn't go. Truly, this was a made-to-watch-on-TV event. Although the roster of entertainers was good, wow, it kinda skewed old. I would have grumbled quite a bit if I travelled all that way and spent $ on gas and lodging to see Fr. Guido Sarducci.

Favorite Signs:

"Hawaii Birthers For Statehood"
"Sarah Palin Stole My Cane"
"I Masturbate AND I Vote"
"This Sign Mocks Extremists In A Witty And Humorous Manner"
"Bacon IS Good For You!"
"Down With Zippers"
"Colbert For Dicatator"

Clearly, Stephen Colbert had the funniest lines of the day, perhaps by design. When he interrupted Yusuf Islam during "Peace Train" and called him "Joe", I lost it. But, we haven't heard "Peace Train" that much these days and although the bit was funny (Islam with "Peace Train"and Ozzy with "Crazy Train" folded into the O'Jays "Love Train"), it might have been nice to hear the whole thing.

Setlist:

"Thought At Work"/The Roots
"Dear God 2.0"/John Legend and The Roots
"Hard Times"/John Legend and The Roots
"I Can't Write Left-Handed"/John Legend and the Roots
"National Anthem"/Four Troops (a terrific job)

(Note: Stewart takes the stage for the first time and it's 1:00. Colbert joins shortly from his Fear Bunker. Then we hear Fr. Guido Sarducci give the benediction. Skewing old, remember? Seriously, I thought Burl Ives was backstage.)

"Peace Train"/Yusuf Islam
"Crazy Train"/Ozzy Osbourne
"Love Train"/O'Jays

(Note: Like Glenn Beck, both Stewart and Colbert handed out medals. Stewart's went to: Tiger pitcher Armando Galarraga, Obama questioner Velma Hart, Wrestler Mick Foley (God, everyone loves Mick!) and Koran saver from the Internet, Jacob Isom. Colbert's went to: All the news organizations who banned their reporters from attending, Anderson Cooper's tight black T-shirt and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerburg.)

"You Are Not Alone"/Jeff Tweedy and Mavis Staples
"The Least That I Can Do is Care"/Kid Rock, T.I. and Sheryl Crow
"Peaceful Feeling"/Sheryl Crow
"America the Beautiful"/Tony Bennett (My God, that guy still has it)
"I'll Take You There"/The Cast

And then it's off to start my day.

The Amish. They have electricity.

It's starting already. Yusuf Islam backlash.

WTF? A tribe in the Congo thinks Bryan Ferry is a god. Not like Clapton, like a real god.

Exercise Yard

Little bit late with this, but Joe Pos had a post a while back about 32 great calls. That is, sports announcing calls.

The most striking of the 32, Howard Cosell's absolute excitement in his voice during the George Foreman-Joe Frazier bout, which gave us "Down goes Frazier!". From a time when a Heavyweight Championship Fight captured most of the attention of the sports world.

Visitor

13 Down: Dan Aykroyd's birthplace (6 letters) Answer: Ottawa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they heard Ferry's first album in many a year.......JMK