Saturday, July 24, 2010

While tooling around the Internets the other day, I came upon this fall release on a bookshelf. Has there ever been a more appropriate title than "Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death and John Madden's Oakland Raiders".

Of course, we know Snake is Ken Stabler. Dr. Death is Skip Thomas and Foo is Phil Villapiano. Villapiano got his nickname because some player couldn't pronounce "Phil" and it kept coming out as "Foo". I'm sure it'll all be in there. Jack Tatum as the "Assassin", Chuck Noll saying that George Atkinson was a "criminal element who should be kicked out of the league." I'm sure they will bring up stickum, Raiders linemen greasing their jerseys, Ray Guy and his overinflated footballs.

One of my favorite Raider stories from back then is John Madden goes into the bathroom and he sees Ted Hendricks. Hendricks is known to most NFL fans as "The Mad Stork", but his Raider nickname was "Kick'em in the Head Ted". Hah! Anyhow, Madden sees Hendricks throwing a ten-dollar bill into a toilet. Madden asks him what the hell is he doing and Hendricks says, "You don't think I'm goin' down there for only a quarter, do ya?"

If you ever get a chance to see any of those NFL Films that feature the Raiders from that era, they are the most entertaining of the lot. They are the only team that had their own theme song.

The Raiders: Autumn Wind, Theme and the Holy Roller



I cannot wait for this one.

Meal of Links

I saw "Salt" today. I didn't know that the Regal had been converted to one of those cooling centers for seniors. They could have called me "Sonny" out there. Anyhow, "Salt" was decent enough. The small semblance of a plot is easy to figure out. But we get Jolie running. A lot. Jolie handy with a gun. A lot. See, she was a CIA agent. But is she a Russian agent? It appears to be the case.

How could they not track those lips while they are chasing her? Maybe because she's blond, then dark-haired, then wearing an expensive hat and coat on the Staten Island Ferry. Huh? But the action, when we get it, is top-notch. Did I mention Jolie running? She is jumping from vehicle to vehicle during a chase. Then we get a cool attempted killing at a state funeral, which will make you think twice about delivering a eulogy. A ridiculous view of White House security, which is beyond bad, for the sake of the movie, of course. I'd like to know who voted for the President in this movie. But we get Jolie kicking people, shooting people, and then culminating with one of the best screen deaths I've seen in a while. That death shows how flexible Jolie can be. This is definitely matinee/borderline full fare material.

My Dad and I had dinner at Bucci's Brick Oven, because I had a coupon that was about to expire. Hadn't been there in a while, but the margherita pizza was outstanding and I think I have two extra meals out of it.

Bernie Sanders says no to oligarchy. "The 400 richest families in America, who saw their wealth increase by some $400 billion during the Bush years, have now accumulated $1.27 trillion in wealth."

Look out. The theme to Hawaii Five-O will be everywhere.

All about "American History X". I happened to catch some of this about a month ago and Edward Norton is still shockingly great in this role.

Mindful of I-71 through town. Take a look at freeways and the decline of Saint Louis.

Cap-and-trade is dead. For now.

Kings of Leon get crapped on in Saint Louis. Literally. Wow, two items from Saint Louis in one day.

How to be an active listener. I try, I really try, to listen to what other people say. I think I'm good at it.

Has it really come to this? Rent A Friend.

The Latest Fixed Fight



"He's not even a canine!" It's like wrestling.

Here is one mean traffic cop. Drive carefully.

This guy really likes his In-N-Out Burger. BTW, the GM of Whitey's had his burger recipe in the PD last month and it was really good. I recommend that one.

Sharron Angle RUNS AWAY From The Press



Tight schedule, my ass.

Hopefully, you were able to share in some of the rain yesterday. The Big Picture takes on stormy skies.

Exercise Yard

Break up the Tribe! Going into today's play, the Indians (in Wedge-like manner) have finally caught the Kansas City Royals in the standings. You know, those Royals. The team that leads the major leagues in hitting.

Joe Pos puts his finger on, despite the hitting, what is wrong with the Royals. And why don't the Indians try and grab Kila Ka’aihue from their minor league roster?

Visitor

1 Across: Co-star of TV's "Chuck" (11 letters) Answer: Adam Baldwin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wasn't Edward Norton nominated for an oscar? great flick----JMK