Saturday, May 01, 2010

The Kentucky Derby was run today pretty much how I expected it to go down, but I didn't get the win. They ran the half in 46 flat, which was some ticks slower than I thought, maybe because of the sloppy track. Of course, I had Ice Box. He ran one of the most adventurous races you'll ever see. He layed back as I thought he would and had to eventually maneuver off the rail and go 5, maybe 6 wide to make his stretch run.

Certainly had lots left at the end, but still finished two-and-a-half lengths behind Super Saver, a horse my brother had in a blind draw. So, at least, someone won around here.

Here's the line on Ice Box from the Daily Racing Form:

"ICE BOX steadied early in traffic, was outrun for 6 furlongs, made a bold inside run leaving the three furlong marker, steadied when blocked nearing the stretch, angled out, steadied for a sixteenth of a mile once in the stretch, swung out near the furlong marker for a clear path then closed a late gap to be steadily getting to the winner late."

That's exhausting just reading it.

A couple of notes regarding NBC's coverage. As usual, they do a fine job on race production. But I was a bit surprised during the week how NBC kept promoting the fact that lots of women watch the Derby. It didn't hit me though until I tried to find the coverage of the Kentucky Oaks on Friday to truly grasp what this meant.

I left work to get home around 5:30. Turn on ESPN...nothing. How about ESPN2...nothing. Uh-oh. Maybe NBC? Nope, Dr. Phil is on. Let's go through the channels. Oh, here's a maybe. Bravo. WTF? Time Warner Cable had it listed like this: "Real Housewives of New Jersey at the Kentucky Derby (Special)". If they hadn't shown a live odds update on the Oaks at that very minute, I would have never known.

Today, NBC starts their coverage at 4:00. Seems like a long telecast now that the Derby goes off later than it used to, today at 6:32. So, what they do in that first hour? More cross-promotion with Bravo. This time with Al Roker and "Top Chef".

You have expected Johnny Weir to show up. Wait a minute, he did...


























Thank goodness Marisa Miller attended.


























Meal of Links

I had a coupon I needed to use at Johnny Mango last night. No more Bohemia there, shoot! I enlisted Gale and, lo and behold, she saw Fun Frank and Friend at work and they showed, as well. Let's see, Mojitos and lines like, "The last time I was in Brazil...". Went with the standard quesadilla, but the BBQ Chicken looked good.

And I happened to see Cleveland's new food truck, Dim and Den Sum, zipping down Bridge Avenue. Spiffy paint job.

An interview with Brian Eno. I am still fascinated by this guy. He's so smart.

Got an e-mail that lala was shutting down. More Apple vs. Google stuff.

"Family Guy" hits Episode No. 150 tomorrow.

Exercise Yard

The Cavs had a huge Game 1 win against the Celtics tonight. But, after that first half, do you think they kinda stole that game, even though they were at home? Thanks, Mo.

LeBron scored a whole bunch of points, but it certainly looked like he didn't want to hurt that elbow. After seeing him at the start of tonight's game, I think he wanted to get through this game, then go full tilt in Game 2 on Monday. Because Game 3 is not until Friday.

Not sure, but let's hope. I'm not sure even he can toss in 35 on cruise control each game.

Visitor

28 Down: "Desert Fox" Rommel (5 letters) Answer: Erwin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember it is Johnny Weird not Weir----------JMK