Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I saw the "Book of Eli" last night. I had my doubts about this one, but it was better than expected. It really hinged on the two main characters played by Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman. If Denzel had phoned this one in like "Pelham 1-2-3", this would have been a disaster. But he and Oldman sold their roles pretty convincingly and that's what put it over the top. And Mila Kunis had these post-apocalyptic look I really dug. And Jennifer Beals still looks mighty good, I say.

Highlights: Denzel and his machete play. Tom Waits and Malcolm McDowell, as ever, in cameos. And one scene where an old couple cranks up the Victrola in the desolate world. Now, I've seen enough movies to know that this is either going to be classical music or something like Piaf in "Saving Private Ryan" to remind those of days gone by. Imagine my surprise when "Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward starts playing.

Anyhow, the ending was not exactly mind-blowing, but made me have more questions and, quite frankly, I don't think there were any answers. It was as if a different movie evolved at the end, but I didn't really mind.

Meal of Links

Spring must be near! The Coachella lineup is out. Old farts rejoice. Public Image! Devo! Echo and the Bunnymen! Gary Numan! Sly and the Family Stone! Grace Jones! Grace Jones? WTF? For the younger folks, like me: Jay Z., MGMT, The Dead Weather, Spoon, Phoenix. And since we were speaking of him last week, Shooter Jennings! Long story, but last Friday, Happy Dog had a DJ play old country tunes (trust me, it was great) and Waylon came on!

Billy Bragg is still protestin'. This time, it's taxes.

What to think about "Leno vs. Conan"? Try "The Wire".

Here is your Massachusetts Senate election coverage.

A must read. The Guantanamo "Suicides".

Exercise Yard

Should Jim Nantz appear on commercials with Peyton Manning? Besides, I want more Justin Timberlake as Delonte West ads.

Visitor

26 Across: TIGER (12 letters) Answer: Eldrick Woods

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I am one of those old farts that would probably enjoy that. Remember PIL opened for INXS at the old Coliseum.--------JMK