Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I really don't mind Frank Caliendo. In doses. But I was surprised to hear he signed a 10-year deal to do voices in Las Vegas. I'm guessing he didn't get stupid money, but I heard him on 1100 recently (he lives in Avon Lake or did), and he kept talking about how his crowds were down. Conveniently blamed the economy, as well, and not those pesky "Frank TV" ads from a couple of years back.

So, prices start at $59 at the Monte Carlo. I say good for him. I just hope in year 10 people remember the voices like Bush and Madden, otherwise there will be a lot of head-scratching going on at his shows.

Meal of Links

The NYTimes restaurant critic has some tips in his last column. "Scratch off the appetizers and entrees that are most like dishes you’ve seen in many other restaurants, because they represent this one at its most dutiful, conservative and profit-minded. The chef’s heart isn’t in them."

These people were polled by AARP about healthcare coverage. And 86% want everyone covered. Good to see common sense rules over the Fox talk of covered abortions and illegal alien coverage. Note how the coverage has shifted from the old-timers to the vets now.

You've got questions? They've got answers.

Exercise Yard

Ohio State says, "Don't boo the Midshipmen." OK, that'll last, what, three seconds.

Visitor

47 Across: James of "The Godfather" (4 letters) Answer: Caan

1 comment:

Russ said...

Looks like Frank is taking the Danny Gans spot. I saw him 6 or so years ago, it was god-awful. But I can tell you one thing -- there's no need to update your schtick. Danny did an entire scene as Henry Fonda from On Golden Pond, and his act was thick with Clinton jokes. In 2003.

While I and my crew found it appallingly bad, the crowd ATE IT UP. There was a 14 year old in front of me that laughed at everything. Everything. There was no way he knew half the references.

People go to have a good time, and they aren't going to let hackiness get in the way. Frank is on the gravy train -- inoffensive, stale humor churned out for ten shows a week.