Sunday, July 19, 2009

I was in a pissy mode most of Saturday. Today was much better. Hey, there was an underwear sale at Target. Yesterday though, I was supposed to have a refrigerator delivered by a local appliance retailer. I had a conversation with the guy a week ago as to what would be a good delivery date. I said Friday, and then he mentioned they only deliver in my area on Thursdays and Saturdays. So, we agreed on Saturday and he said they would see me then.

Well, I didn't get a call as to what my delivery time was, but I figured that's how they operate. Then about 11:30, I decided to call and then that's when my mood changed. You see, they didn't have me listed for a Saturday delivery. Then I really didn't like it when the sales guy tried to pull the old "I left you a message" routine. After I explained the apparently forgotten conversation to him, he noticed that I sounded "pretty adamant about it". Hell, yes. What I didn't like about the message reference is that he thought that would get him off the hook, but I was ready to question him on why that would be the end of his pursuit of a delivery date. Yeah, I'm paying them to have it sit in their warehouse? Anyhow, he said he would fix it and they did deliver it and the delivery guys were great. But, damn, I was not to be trifled with.

Later, the men in my family were scheduled to go to Melt, where I had another coupon I needed to use before Wednesday. Just like a year ago, an unknown event killed that. Last time, it was a Jeff Dunham concert that brought in a crowd. This time, it was a Detroit Road Art Walk or something. There was an hour wait, something I would normally go for, but we ended up going to the venerable West End instead. Just like last year, we had to get there before the youngins showed up. Not very crowded, but I had a great burger there. We'll try Melt again on Tuesday.

Meal of Links

How media celebrate Walter Cronkite and how they are nothing like him. Great Halberstam references and some Tim Russert bashing, if you're up to it.

The cartel to the South. in 2008, 6,000 Mexicans died in drug-related violence.

Now The Burger King haunts the soccer world. When will it end?

I'm Worried About Steve



Exercise Yard

Today could have been the greatest day in the history of professional golf. Old Tom Watson was just a few feet away from winning The Open Championship at age 59. But he gacked on the putt and it forced a playoff with one of golf's most notorious Tweeters, Stewart Cink. But most will forget how Lee Westwood threw this one away, probably more than Watson.

Of course, the Tweeter did win the playoff. To be fair, I actually like both guys. I am very thankful for Tom Watson's book on the short game, because when I played golf, it actually made me think about what the hell I was doing.

Cink has always seemed like a nice guy and he can play a bit. Finally breaking through on some recent Ryder Cups. Did not like it when Berman christened him Stewart "Kitchen" Cink at that Southern Hills US Open many years ago. And today he was referred to by Tom Weiskopf as "Stewart Stink" and by Curtis Strange as "Stewart Think". Is it that tough to say Stewart Cink on live TV?

Anyhow, it was some riveting TV.

Visitor

None, a beautiful summer Sunday.

No comments: