Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I was at the Indians game tonight. It was a “Clash of the Titans” affair with the Kansas City Royals. Nomar Stalker and I took advantage of those 50% off tickets and got a pair in 152, right before the handicapped row. Excellent location, because when it rained late, we caught the end in one of the 200 Jury Box sections.

What did we learn?

Quit worrying about Cliff Lee. He looked as dominant as he did last year. Gave up 7 hits, but clearly 5 of them were of the cheap variety. Hard hit balls were virtually non-existent. Gave up a run early when Coco Crisp led off with a double and moved up on two fly balls to Choo, who thankfully saw both of them. Anyhow, Lee looked great, even though he lost.

The Tony Sipp Era started. He looked decent. Little lefty, throws the heater in the low 90s. But the Indians offense looked like a Jim Rome “Triple U” experience. Especially the unfunny and uninspired part.

We learned more about vending. The Kosher Hot Dogs purveyed by the “Rabbi Feldman Stands” have been replaced by a Super Kosher Dog for, get this, $6.50! I was in line and heard a guy mutter his small order and when he was done it was $25.25. That made me read the prices as he took forever. So, pissed off at the slow guy and the prices, I went to a regular vending station. Where I paid $5 for a dog and $4.75 for my large Souvenir Soda. Didn't make me feel any better when told condiments were around the corner. Hey, where's my pump bottle of mustard? What's with the packets?

As I said on Opening Day, beer from a vendor is $7. I found the Mixed Drink Stand near 155 and paid $7 for a bourbon and soda. The stand offered Great Lakes and some other beers for something in that $6.75-7.25 range. Looks like Cotton Candy was the only item checking in at less than $4.

The Royals? Well, Brian Bannister owns the Indians and threw 6 shutout innings. Jamey Wright came on and threw 2 innings, including a 4-pitch 8th. Then “The Mexecutioner”, Joakim Soria, came on and struggled for the save. But he buckled Trevor Crowe on a third strike to end the game. The Royals appear to have good gloves, but have trouble throwing the ball around defensively. They may need to keep an eye on that.

I’ve now attended two games. The Indians have lost both. And it rained both times.

Royals win, 2-0.

Meal of Links

What is your better Chicago concert this summer? Pitchfork or Lollapalooza?

If you've been on Detroit lately, you see all of the construction going on. Good news, though. The Capitol Theatre gets a projected opening date of October 1. Let's see if their vision meets my vision. Meaning I don't want to have to drive to the Cedar-Lee, if I don't have to.

Bill Nye gets booed. Bill Nye, for cryin' out loud. Well, booed might be strong. Heckled, perhaps. OK, a few people walked out.

Melt goes east. Michael Symon goes east and west.

College Snuggies. Seriously.

Shep Drops an F-Bomb on Torture on Fox



Exercise Yard

The NCAA finally sanctions beach volleyball. But they call it "sand volleyball". I guess for all the midwest and eastern schools that will have a team.

Cavs GEICO Parody



I was at the Atlanta game when that debuted, and liked it a lot.

Visitor

14 Across: "1984" author (6 letters) Answer: Orwell

No comments: