Sunday, January 11, 2009

Yes, it's the time-honored tradition of that Dick Clark Production...the 66th Annual Golden Globes! Football ran late, so I have no Red Carpet info. This awards ceremony brings out all the heavy hitters, be they presenters or nominees.

Why, first up, it's J-Lo to present a Best Supporting Actress Award. This goes to Kate Winslet for "The Reader". It's curious how she gets a supporting role out of this feature, but I guess the studio determined this is her easiest path to an award. OK, I have actually seen this one. That makes me feel good. But her speech is lo-o-o-o-ong.

What is going on with Sting? Anyone? This outfit reminds me of when you are a kid and demand to be allowed to wear a certain outfit, when the reality of it is that it's not very appropriate.



























Bruce Springsteen is given an award from Sting. It's for the song, "The Wrestler", which is actually in the movie, "The Wrestler". I haven't seen it yet. Bruce, for once, has no story to tell but does say, "This is the only time I'm going to be in a competition with Clint Eastwood. Feels pretty good, too."

Kate Beckinsale in the house!

Next winner is Laura Dern for her role as Katharine Harris in HBO's "Recount". I actually watched it and it was well done.

Tom Wilkinson wins for playing Ben Franklin in "John Adams". Even though HBO seemed to have this on a continuous 24-hour loop for a time, I didn't see it. If you wanna see Wilkinson in a great role, catch him in "Rock N Rolla".

Dexter and his sister/wife are there to not watch Gabriel Byrne pick up an award for "In Treatment". I've seen a couple of these.

Anna Paquin is all growed-up. She wins for "True Blood". Was that the one she was naked in? I didn't see it.

Seriously, is that Verizon post-Christmas ad gonna run through Easter? It's killing me.

Ricky Gervais introduces a scene from "Happy Go Lucky", while sipping a pint. "Winslet, I told you, do a Holocaust film and the awards come rolling."

Jonas Brothers present Best Toon to "Wall-E". What are their names? Dork, Dorky and Joe?

Johnny Depp onstage. I am not sure, but he seems to be doing an imitation of someone I can't quite place. Very strange. Anyhow, Sally Hawkins wins for "Happy Go Lucky". This poor woman seems completely overwhelmed that she won.

Sandra Bullock is there!



























Speaking of hitting the sauce, the next presenters are Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore. "John Adams" wins best Mini Series or TV Movie, but is not there to accept it.

Deh-Mee Moore presents a Best Supporting Actor award to another person who could not be there, Heath Ledger. He gets a Standing O, regardless. They show a clip from "The Dark Knight". I saw it. He deserves everything he gets for that one.

Tom Brokaw? WTF? "Frost/Nixon"! Now I get it.

Colin Farrell is on my TV. Huh? It's Best Foreign Language Film. "Waltz With Bashir", which gets here next month, wins.

Both Gyllenhaals have been onstage tonight. This is for Best Actress in a TV Movie or Miniseries. It goes to Laura Linney, who keeps getting better looking each year. She was in "John Adams", which I still haven't seen.

I just saw Salma and her Hayeks for the first time this evening.




















Laundry break, as "Slumdog Millionaire" takes Best Screenplay.

Dempsey and Poehler present Best Actor in a TV Comedy and it goes to Alec Baldwin for "30 Rock". He is damn funny on that show. Nice shot of Jane Krakowski over there. Woof!

Renee Zellweger appears, wearing something bizarre. Is she playing Annette Bening in real life? What is going on here?



























Paul Giamatti, who absolutely kills me, wins for "John Adams". Have I mentioned I haven't seen this? But I do like Giamatti in most everything that he does.

Glenn Close and Laurence Fishburne give an award to "30 Rock". Tracy Morgan speaks for the group. "I'm the face of post-racial America. Deal with it, Cate Blanchett." Very funny.

Pierce Brosnan introduces a clip from "Mamma Mia". Thank God, he does not sing.

P. Diddy and Kate Beckinsale present Best Score. Seriously, Diddy gets no reaction from the crowd. Beckinsale gets a reaction from my man parts, though. Some Indian guy is onstage and I have confirmed that "Slumdog Millionaire" has won.



























David Duchovny and Jane Krakowski make a fine couple, I'd say. Or maybe she does. They present an acting award to Tina Fey. Her best line (via Will Arnett), "I love the Hollywood foreign press. As a kid, I had all the Hollywood foreign press action figures."

Steven Spielberg wins the Cecil B. Demille Award, presented by Martin Scorsese. Marty seems to have developed Tourette's. Steve gives a speech the way a speech should be given at these things. Very nice. Hey, they show a clip from "Duel". Speaking of clips, where did I see a clip of Warhol, Spielberg and Bianca Jagger having a chat? Why, here it is:



Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman present Best Director, It goes to Danny Boyle, looking as disheveled as ever, for "Slumdog Millionaire".

Sigourney Weaver is still getting it done.

Bullock presents Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy and it goes to Colin Farrell for "In Bruges". Didn't see that one. Even Farrell said, "They must have done the counting in Florida."

"Vicky Cristina Barcelona' clip is introduced by Salma and her Hayeks.

Sasha Baron Cohen is funny while presenting Best Picture, Musical or Comedy. He said in tough times people seek out "mindless, puerile, escapist nonsense... Which is a good thing because I've got a movie coming out." His recession jokes:

"Victoria Beckham has not eaten in three weeks."

"Charlie Sheen has been forced to have sex and not pay for it."

"Madonna has had to let go of one of her personal assistants. Our thoughts go out to you, Guy Ritchie."

He seemed to have lost the crowd with that last one. Many groans. "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" wins.

Mark Wahlberg and Cameron Diaz present Best Actress. This goes to Kate Winslet. That's a rarity, getting two of these awards. This one for "Revolutionary Road". A shoutout to Leo this time. But her speech is lo-o-o-o-ong. I have decided if I ever present at these awards, I wanna be on in the first hour, so I could drink.

Rainn Wilson and The Gossip Girl present Best TV Drama. ""Hello, we're TV actors." It goes to "Mad Men".

Susan Sarandon gives a Best Actor award to Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler". Revisit "Body Heat". The guy is on screen for about 5 minutes or so and is unbelievable. Mickey has had some tough times as evidenced by him thanking his dogs. "I'd like to thank my dogs. Sometimes when a man's alone, that's all you've got, is your dogs."



























Who is this chick in the new Citi ads, who seems to be channeling Phoebe Cates?

Tom Cruise presents Best Motion Picture, Drama, and it goes to "Slumdog Millionaire". The producer says, "They're wrapping me up...Fuck!" But it got bleeped.

We conclude as Cruise says, "Good night, everybody!"

Your winners are here.

Meal of Links

Mouthwash is linked to cancer. I use that Alcohol-Free stuff from Crest.

Senator Voinovich hangs it up. Release the hounds! That should be an interesting race. As Jack Benny used to say, "Oh...Dennis!"

Wow. This kid can text.

Exercise Yard

Who would have thought three road teams would win in the NFL playoffs? I missed on all three games. The shocker was Arizona winning over Carolina. Did not see that coming. Tennesseee killed themselves with turnovers and the Giants just could not throw the ball today.

Lastly, the Steelers rolled in what I thought would be a tougher game for them.

Visitor

None, this was a post-snow Sunday.

No comments: