Sunday, January 18, 2009

While sitting around wasting time yesterday, I bumped into the Big O, once again:



So, I decided to check into Lawson's and discovered that Lawson's is the number two convenience store chain in Japan, of all things. I'm really at a loss to think how that even occurred. Was it a stroke of luck to establish some stores there in the '70s? Or did they capitalize on being an American brand at precisely the right moment? Either way, I think it's truly bizarre. I wonder if they sell chip-chopped ham, Budget-Pak ice cream and chip dip there.

And since that song is now stuck in your head, try removing this one, once you've heard it:



Meal of Links

Someone found a whole bunch of Iron Age coins in the UK. Seems they would be worth more, but maybe the Iron Age is the red-headed stepchild of all the Ages.

The frat boy ships out. Can it be said any better. The one thing I'll never forgive them for is their anti-intellectualism. It's baffling that you would not want to embrace the smart.

It is now National Thrift Week. Here's how to save money during a recession. Craigslist is not a bad place to start.

Joaquin Phoenix is a member of my Dead Pool this year. He is now a rapper. Somewhere, Old Dirty Bastard and, perhaps, Andy Kaufman look on fondly.

Exercise Yard

Today's games:

Philadelphia over Arizona
Pittsburgh over Baltimore

After last week's disaster of picking, I'll try again today. Really, if Pittsburgh does not turn over the ball, they should win handily. In the first game, I just can't see Kurt Warner getting time to throw or Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin running free through the Philly secondary.

Visitor

None, a football Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez, I was always partial to May Co and Halles - I am sure nearly everyone of our generation can sing the Mr Jing-a-ling jingle. And oh the fond memories of Revco, Kenny Kings, and Hough Bakeries (who makes a crumb kuchen anymore?)