Saturday, October 04, 2008

Last night, I was outnumbered by women downtown about 250-to-1, because of all things, New Kids on the Block were in town. Gale and I were at Alesci's and it kinda got put in perspective by the young woman sitting next to me. I could only name three of the dudes in the group and she filled in the remaining two. She said, "You don't understand, when I was 9, I had these guys on everything in my room." I guess posters, sheets, the whole nine. She also felt a little funny 16 years later actually attending the show. But felt that even though those guys were older, look at all the women in the audience. The other thing that was amazing was how many guys knew the song "Step By Step". That's crazy.

















Later at the Clevelander, Kevin and I split $5 to play some rounds of Keno. We chose to play 5 games at a dollar each. We picked the four number method. Two of the five games netted us two numbers, so we made $4, for a total loss of a buck. Games start three minutes apart. You fill out a numbers ticket like the regular weekly lotteries. They print out a ticket with your choices and in the lower right, the games you are eligible for are printed. When you're done, you hand in the ticket to claim any winnings. They insert the tickets and you get the resultant payout. It's quite simple.

Meal of Links

All the presidential elections in map form. Still cannot figure out the 1824 election.

Redford on Newman.

Ten everyday things people do that ruin their cars. I never use the parking brake, doesn't enter my mind to use it.

Good news. Last Sunday's premiere of "Dexter" got good ratings. I'll cling to anything that keeps the show on the air.

Shows that should not have been cancelled. Good shoutouts to "Dead Like Me" (the first season is really good), "Frank's Place" (I absolutely loved that show and we got a Louis Armstrong theme, too), "Arrested Development" (with a collection of the Bluth family's chicken dance).

Homer Simpson Tries To Vote for Obama



Exercise Yard

Lance Armstrong's comeback is not going over well with lots in the cycling world. Greg LeMond is still on his case, the French aren't exactly thrilled, the anti-dopers are a bit perplexed (the thought of retesting old samples from 1999 has come up.)

It's been a rather fascinating few weeks since Armstrong announced he's coming back for the Tour. It appears he is in it to promote Livestrong. Not sure why he is coming back, I think no less than a first is a failure, simply because of all the doping talk. He's gotta prove he can win without a cloud of suspicion. As we've seen with baseball, that's tough to do.

Visitor

18 Down: "Only The Lonely" singer (7 letters) Answer: Orbison

No comments: