Saturday, August 16, 2008

Starting to watch more Olympic coverage. I saw the Raynell Williams fight at the Olympics. As I said, he seems like a nice kid from Cleveland, but lost a controversial match to end that dream. I watched it and I didn't notice anything particularly heinous about the decision. I would have loved for that to be the case, but it only underscored how difficult, bordering on unfair, the scoring can be in these bouts.

Once more, both fighters seemed to land blows that the judges failed to score. Williams was tied after the first round, 1-1, where even the announce crew said it could have been 6-6 at that point. He had to make up ground in the final round and his French opponent got on the bike and that was all she wrote. I think Williams has some good pro potential. He's very active and I think his style fits the pro game. I hope to see him continue boxing.

Meal of Links

I noticed that Sweet Basil Pizzeria had been getting some good pub lately. It's on the corner of Center Ridge and Canterbury. so the men in my family took a drive. Awesome pies, man. Thin crust in 12 or 18-inch size. Fresh ingredients are the hallmark here. I had my standard-bearing pepperoni and jalapeno to try it out. Short beer and wine list. Maybe 12-14 tables with a few booths. Doing a brisk business. I recommend it highly. It'll make you forget the chains.

A Woody Allen primer. And they actually mention "Love and Death". And "Zelig" gets a shoutout.

The Bigfoot press conference. It sounds pretty much like a hoax. Again.

The Obama campaign continues to rake in the cash. July results: Obama-$51 million, McCain-$27 million.

Exercise Yard

OK, now that Track & Field has started in the Olympics, I am there. Tip of the hat to Nike for having Steve Prefonatine in their commercial. Anyhow, I saw Usain Bolt win the Men's 100 Meters. This dude is incredibly fast and he's only run the race a handful of times. World record in 9.69 and he was out for a stroll and even pulled up at the end. This was the most insane track event I've witnessed since Michael Johnson's 200 in Atlanta in 1996. Absolutely stunning.

Look at the distance Bolt won by. Incredible.


















Visitor

30 Across: Noted club founder (9 letters) Answer: Sam Walton

No comments: