Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I think I've stumbled upon NBC's formula for their prime-time schedule. Sure, they sprinkle in track & field events, but basically they are showing long-form events. First week, NBC scheduled lots of swimming and, good for them, they were able to convince the authorities to roll with swimming events in the mornings of Beijing. Therefore, live events meant you could tune in to see Michael Phelps as it happens.

But this second week has gone kinda goofy. They still were able to sneak gymnastics in there again tonight. It's a long-form event, because of all the different competitors and teams means different scores and on and on, but tonight was an exhibition. I hate exhibition sports, because, uh, they don't count. As a matter of fact, I'm already dreading next week's Browns game.



























Beach volleyball (and it's about time I used a gratuitous adjustment shot), same thing, games up to 21 keep some people interested. Hell, I even watched the women's marathon on Saturday, mainly because it was live and even though one woman ran by herself for ten miles to win it. And tonight, it's diving. Live, but again, an event that goes on interminably. I think they decided to have longer events on that may keep folks tuned in for the outcome. Then they can switch to track for 10 minutes at a time and head right back to the silly stuff. Thank goodness, I haven't seen any trampoline or BMX yet. They are eliminating baseball and softball for that. I was wondering today, is field hockey still an Olympic sport? How about team handball?

I don't know if it works. I mean, I'm still in "My Dinners With Teddy" mode and boxing is long-form. Four two-minute rounds and then the next bout starts. But that's on non-prime time cable. The network schedule probably makes people mad. Then NBC looks at the ratings and flips us off.

Meal of Links

What if ESPN had the Olympics? Well, they would not be tape-delayed. I could see wall-to-wall coverage over the family of Four-Letter networks. Of course, let's see their bid for the EPL first.

Ah, Kate Beckinsale is on vacation. This, of course, after more talk about her vagina. Seems she went out commando-style, and thought maybe the paparazzi had some photos.

The best songs in Olympic commercials. Of course, The Killers for Nike is in there. And Marvin Gaye, too!

These lights seem OK. But is it worth the effort? I dunno.

I think she's talented:




A school in Maryland has named their stadium after Art Modell. Surprisingly, the words "fucker" or "asshole" do not appear on the signs.

Exercise Yard

Usain Bolt wins the 200 meters. I am astounded by this guy's speed. And, by God, track and field needs a boost like this.

Visitor

24 Across: "Romeo+Juliet" costar (11 letters) Answer: Claire Danes

No comments: