Saturday, August 30, 2008

I have had a bit more time to digest McCain's pick of Sarah Palin as VP. And I'm still not sure I understand it. It is hard for me to fathom that there are Clinton Democrats who would go with the R's just because there is a woman, any woman, on the GOP ticket. I thought recent polling had McCain doing OK with Independent voters, so I'm not sure the choice adds more voters to his side with Independents. We always hear about female Reagan Democrats, I mean, is Palin enough of a choice to get that bloc, whatever those numbers are? Seems puzzling to me. And to add a pro-lifer with abortion as the number one topic with only 3% of the voters is a reach.

And to take Obama's experience off the table by adding Sarah Palin could be a major mistake. As I say, forget about the 3 a.m. phone call, what if McCain can't wake up for his 6 a.m. alarm? She's the next President? I don't think so. Personally, I see it as a major blunder.

And the creepy rumors have begun. Was Palin really pregnant for a fifth time or was
she covering for her daughter? I can't even believe someone came up with that one, but thought I'd let you know. It seems all the stops are gonna be pulled out with this election.

Other thoughts on the choice:

From Politico.

From The Huffington Post.

From an Alaskan.

And, of course, a MICHAEL Palin reference:



Meal of Links

Mr. and Mrs. Mix are in town and we headed late over to The Harp last night. They seemed to have a partially new menu there, I could be wrong. Any, I tried their Root Beer Float. This is Three Olives Root Beer with cola. It was just OK, there needs to be a better companion than cola.

The 20 Best Seasons in the last 20 years of TV. Thought there would be a "24" or a "Seinfeld" in there. I'll vouch for "Arrested Development" and "Twin Peaks" Season One made it. BTW, Monday's ride to work was most enjoyable. Bob Edwards re-ran interviews with David Lynch and Terry Gilliam in the same hour. Great stuff. A list of Bob's recent shows.

Let's hope not. It looks like Nawlins is about to be tested again. This seems like a diagonal hit and not a direct path like Katrina, which means lingering effects.

Exercise Yard

NFL Cuts. Browns let go Travis Wilson, no surprise to me. David McMillan and Lennie Friedman the other names to go. Terry Cousin made it.

Visitor

45 Down: _____ Callender's restaurants (5 letters) Answer: Marie

No comments: