Thursday, July 31, 2008

I was watching the X Games for some unknown reason and they were doing the Big Air competition. This is some insane 70-foot ramp that leads to a standard skateboarding tube. For the first two rounds, most of the attempts failed.

Then this guy almost killed himself. Note how his feet hit the top of the ramp.



He came back later and made his jumps to finish second. He'll be hurting tomorrow.

Meal of Links

Some band names really make me chuckle. Here are a couple that caught my eye recently. Joe Buck Yourself and Natalie Portman's Shaved Head.

Lollapalooza is in the AT&T Blue Room starting tomorrow. Nice streaming schedule, I'd say. Gogol Bordello and The Raconteurs on Friday. Wilco late on Saturday. Flogging Molly, Love and Rockets and The National on Sunday.

The Interactive Ben Kingsley Accent Map is rather humorous.

Freddie Prinze helps the creative team of WWE. This quote makes me wonder what is happening: "Bringing on board an experienced Hollywood writer, actor and producer like Freddie Prinze Jr. will only increase the level of entertainment to millions of viewers and passionate WWE fans every Monday on USA." WTF?

South LA has banned new fast-food construction. I understand the intent, but isn't that crossing a line? Of course, I am operating under the presumption of personal responsibility. But I go back to the Papa John's Pizza debate of this year. Sure I'd like to see the inner city folks eat healthier, but I don't think "food zoning" is the way to go.

I haven't ridden a Greyhound bus in years. Not sure I want to revisit that scene. This is horrifying.

Exercise Yard

Not really a surprise. But the recruiting budgets of major colleges has at least doubled in the last decade or so. I find it interesting that Michigan was not in the Top 20, but West Virginia was.

Visitor

15 Across: 1966 N.L. batting champ (4 letters) Answer: Alou

No comments: