Sunday, May 25, 2008

Today is always one of my favorite days of the year, because there is typically a bunch of auto racing going on. Over the years, if the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend is rainy, I don't really care. Because I'm usually watching all three races: Monaco, Indy and Charlotte. I've stuck with Indy through thick and thin, so I'm not about to stop now.
















It started today with the F1 race from Monaco through the streets of Monte Carlo. It is way cool to see these machines on the city streets and today there was also some rain to contend with. Do we use dry tires, intermediates or wets? After that choice was made, there remains a lot of guys who are slipping and sliding, trying to pass where they shouldn't and generally a ton of mayhem. So, it was a good race to kick off the proceedings at 8:00 to see old friend Lewis Hamilton win.

With Monaco ending at 10:00, it's enough time to prepare eats. Because I was able to use my 4-10 method of cooking ribs. 4 hours in the oven and 10 minutes on the grill. Oh, there is beer and a rub involved, but it works every time. Fall off the bone action. And this time it worked perfectly, because I ran out of propane in my tank as I was finishing up.

Then it was into my Edward Scissorhands mode to trim some hedges and also mow the lawn. I just picked up a cordless Hedgehog from Black & Decker. It pairs up nicely with my Grasshog. Hey, no more cutting cords! Anyhow, I like the power in the Hedgehog. Gives a nice cut and the blades are a bit longer than I've used in the past, which makes things go quicker. And with Indiana now on Eastern time, it helps that the Indy 500 doesn't start until 1:00.

I really enjoyed Indy this year. Although the first 100 laps seemed to have more cautions than normal. Scott Dixon was your winner. There were enough lead changes, but the top cars seemed not to change most of the day. It appeared the Top Ten was pretty much the same all day, with places being interchanged. I must say, I'm tiring just a bit of Danica Patrick's act. You see, on the radio with her team, she came across as whiny. Yes, whiny. "My car is slo-o-w." Well, sister, there are a bunch of other cars with the same issue. She had a Top 10 car but it was obvious early on, she would not win. It's unfortunate she was tagged by Ryan Briscoe while exiting pit row. But that's happened before to many drivers and you need to be professional about it, while lambasting the idiot that hit you. Upon getting back to her pit and exiting her car, she started a slow walk to Briscoe's pit, until cooler heads prevailed. What was she going to do, punch him? Then the announce team jumped in with the old descriptors of "fire " and "passion" and that it was "good to see". No, it was the actions of someone who thinks she is deserving of more than her ability has taken her, thus far. Look, I'm happy she finally won a race earlier this year, but if anyone thinks she will eventually end up in NASCAR with that attitude, they are insane. Note how this incident will gain bigger headlines than Dixon's win. Even with this cute picture of the winning family.





















Finally, it was off to Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600. Side Note: James Carville and Bill Frist were in a Coke commercial where they are clinkin' bottles at the Washington Monument. How easy is it to get Coke in bottles these days? Anyhow, the race was really good, as it starts in daylight and ends under cover of the night. Close to 30 lead changes, with Kasey Kahne prevailing. The hated (not by me) Kyle Busch was third and Greg Biffle snuck in there for second. Side Note 2: All members of my fantasy team for tonight's race. 600 miles is a long test, but attrition had very little to do with the outcome. But the final laps had guys running out of gas, two guys into the wall and got pretty exciting for those who stuck with it. Side Note 3: Yao Ming was there, to fulfill a contractual obligation, I assume. Probably can't fit in a car.





















Meal of Links

Woody Harrelson wants to stop eating for 40 days. For grins, apparently.

Government economic data comes under scrutiny. This guy puts unemployment at more like 13%.

We need big thinking to change the way we use energy. Train travel, anyone?

Exercise Yard

While perusing the sportpage this morning, did you catch the article that mentioned managers in trouble? I was wondering if Hoynes had some info from a higher up, because for all of the fans whining, I believe this is the first time where there has been a hint that Eric Wedge could be in trouble.

Now, Hoynes may have been surmising, but I'm wondering if there's something to it. This is year 6 and Wedge has made one playoff appearance. Are the players turning him off? Have to look for more clues, I guess.

Visitor

None, it's a Racing Sunday.

No comments: