Monday, May 12, 2008

Today, I called in sick for the first time in eons. I've been on this medication for "the gout" called colchicine, which I have to take for 10 days. It has some side effects and really for the first four days, I had not noticed much of anything. But last night, all of a sudden I had the chills and really did not snap out of it for over two hours. This was not listed as a side effect, so I'm not sure if this was some sort of coincidental event, but I didn't feel so good for a while afterward, so I thought better of trying to make the long haul in. It's tough to assume the fetal position with teeth chattering incessantly. Feeling much, much better as the day moves on, so I think I'm good to go.

Anyhow, what does one do when you're at home during the week. Amongst finishing laundry and doing dishes, you discover lots of things:

Well, I started the day by listening to Mr. Tony. Visits from Michael Wilbon and Carl Hiaasen.

I finally got around to reading the latest Vanity Fair. Yes, I actually have the Miley Ray Cyrus naked photo in my possession. Much ado about nothing, as far as I could tell. Those Dolce & Gabbana ads in there creep me out more than anything. And what about Jennifer Aniston posing for some bottled water in a foldout ad? She's never been a fave of mine, but I may have to go back under the hood for further review. Anyhow, there was an excellent excerpt on the RFK 68 campaign. A pretty good issue, I thought, even without a Hitchens piece.

A blind guy bowls a 300. 12 balls, 10 lanes? Or was he tossing threes and they either sounded like strikes or someone told him they were. Seems shady to me.

Channel 3 has reruns, I think, of "The Insider" during the day. They had a report on a woman with 34FFF breasts. Of course, she wants to "break the law" by making them bigger. Apparently, there is a legal limit on the size of implants. I guess you have to go to those weigh stations on the highway or something.

Victor Newman got engaged to Sabrina on "The Young and the Restless".

I love the fact that Kyle Busch is stirring the pot in NASCAR. I think Tony Stewart may officially cede the bad boy title to him. Let's see he wrecked Dale Earnhardt, Jr., drives for a foreign manufacturer, gets booed all the time. I think it's great.

"The Zen of Bobby V" is on ESPN tomorrow. I'm telling you their doc division has really stepped up lately.

The 20 best Nike commercials. Dennis Hopper! The Michael Vick Experience was a gem. Mars Blackmon asking is it the shoes, Michael? Tiger's bouncing golf ball. Randy Johnson bowling. And, of course, Bo knows.

Sadler's Wells retires at the age of 27. Much of the Coolmore empire is based on his stud work.

I noticed that we finally started getting the "NewsHour" at 7:00 on PBS HD recently. I mean how many reruns of "Smart Travels" could you watch? But if you find yourself forgetting about the war (if you possibly could) they hammer it home with the photographs of some of the dead soldiers from time to time. What a shame. Most between 21 and 26. Women, men, all ranks, all geographies. Very sad.

Meal of Links

Fulham, who avoided relegation yesterday, may get a spot in the UEFA Cup based on fair play. It's good for the team that sports the most Americans abroad, but certainly insane that a shitty team can be rewarded with a spot in European football.

How to talk like someone from Mayberry. "Shazam!"

Many friends of Willie Nelson talk about Willie Nelson. Check out Ray Benson's comments on "Pretty Paper".

Will Bob Barr be the Republican Nader? Or could he siphon off some Obama votes?

Exercise Yard

Hey, the Indians had only 8 hits in today's doubleheader, as they split two 3-0 games. But that bottom of the lineup in game 2? Shoppach, Tyner and Marte? WTF? Come on, against Marcum? Let's at least try, Wedgie!

Anyhow, after the Cavs games on TNT, you can't change the channel too quickly, because you get the best insights on the postgame program. When you have Magic Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley (champions all, well, except for Charles) breaking down games, it's a must-see. So, pay attention to what those guys say. Sure, they are entertaining (Magic: "Those 16 games I coached and "The Magic Hour" are the two worst things I've ever done."), but they know of what they speak. Even with those annoying new Heineken commercials.

LeBron shot 7 of 20 and still improved his shooting percentage in the series, while telling his Mom to sit down during the game.

















But that was a HUGE dunk to close out the game late in the 4th. "With no fear of human life", as Kevin Harlan put it.































Celtics had no bench tonight. Zip. Nada. While the Cavs had big performances off the bench. Smith, Varejao and Gibson with major contributions.

Garnett, harassed by Varejao late, and Allen didn't show up in the 4th quarter for Boston. Z was a minor player for the first time in the series and didn't log many minutes for the Cavs. Both teams took care of the ball as they each had less than 10 turnovers. Simply a matter of the Cavs playing better down the stretch tonight.

Boston's road woes continue as the Cavs win, 88-77.

Visitor

18 Across: He hit 660 (10 letters) Answer: Willie Mays

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA I have to remember that one the next time I need a medical excuse to skip work. Thank you Sir Charles and PFS!