Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I stumbled upon the ABC network last night and was amazed to find the show "According to Jim" still on the air. Quite frankly, I thought this show had been cancelled about 4 times already. I keep wondering about America when a show like that can outdraw "Knights of Prosperity".

Anyhow, I had to make sure it was still sweeps month as ABC aired not one, but two of these shows back-to-back. And I thought to myself has the President of the network fallen asleep or has he just given up. I mean, what would possess ya? I thought since I was there, I might as well see if the show had become funny in some sort of miraculous way and not everyone (meaning me) had been let in on the secret. Uh, no, it still sucked. Badly.

So, is my brain now destroyed?

Meal of Links

Robert Rauschenberg died. He was 82. I liked his art very much. I guess because it was for lack of a better word, accessible. And, of course, he did the cover for the Talking Heads album, "Speaking in Tongues". That actually got him a Grammy.

Speaking of the Heads, "Our President's crazy...did you hear what he said?". Our President said he showed solidarity with the troops by giving up golf, supposedly a big sacrifice for the guy. You can't make that up.

The last "Seinfeld" aired 10 years ago. "What am I supposed to do with all this paella?"

Exercise Yard

Bill Simmons has a preview of Doc Rivers' pregame speech.

The Cavs certainly had a chance in Game 5. I let the thought that the Cavs were playing superb defense cross my mind. And they got to that 43-29 lead, with LeBron scoring his series high...in the first half! But then, of all people, Rajon Rondo, hits not one, but two threes and the Celtics get right back in the game. And to think the Cavs went from a 43-29 lead to a 71-59 deficit near the end of the third, that's being outscored 42-16. Attribute some of that to Boston's hot shooting in the third, but, man, what a turnaround.

The playoffs are turning into an easily-solved mystery this year. San Antonio has looked so awful at New Orleans, but so good at home. I'm afraid the Cavs are heading to the same sort of fate. The pressure is mounting on both teams for Friday's game here.

Look at the box score shows Rondo had more assists than the Cavs, that's not good. Cavs only got 13 points from the bench. Bad three-point percentage from the Cavs, who were getting to the line, but only shot 68% on fouls. Plus, they got outrebounded, especially in the second half.

The Celtics lack of depth, and perhaps their eventual downfall, really showed tonight with only 9 points. Rondo had to go 42 minutes at the point and had his best game, by far. They finally got Paul Pierce going and Kevin Garnett had an all-pro game. The Celtics shot 48% and most of that was after that 14-point deficit.

We'll see which Celtics team shows up on Friday, but their confidence has to much better after tonight's game. Cavs are hanging by a thread.

Cavs lose, 96-89.

Visitor

45 Across: "Family Circus" cartoonist Keane (3 letters) Answer: Bil

No comments: