Thursday, January 17, 2008

I just realized I forgot to honk my horn after tonight's CSU game. Aren't we supposed to do that after any kind of big win? I don't know what started this renaissance of local sports, I'm guessing the LeBron game last June against Detroit, but it seems to have filtered down to the lowliest of them all, CSU. Described by the AP tonight as "a program in disarray for most of the past 20 years".

Yes, the Vikings beat #12 Butler tonight, the first time CSU has ever beaten a Top 25 team in the regular season, and the biggest win since the Mackey Era. A game so big, I actually had to pay to park. Apparently, the days of "Gee, I'm still home and have a game in 25 minutes." are gone. Well, at least for one evening, as a crowd of 5,352 was in attendance. People in front of me, people behind me, even people NEXT to me (Stop touching me!). A game so huge, as the "crowd" stormed the court afterward in typical Cleveland fashion, they tried to steal the head of Magnus! Ha!

















Obviously, Coach Waters has got it through his team's head that if thou playeth defense, good things will be bestowed upon thee. Butler shot only 34% for the game. Last year, they had 20 3-pointers here...this year, they had 6. CSU had more rebounds, 37-32, and led almost the entire game.

The crowd was into the game, probably at its best since the North Carolina game of years gone by. The Vikings played a really good game and didn't crack when Butler had its only lead, 44-42, with 7:58 to play. They benefited from a horrible game by A.J. Graves (he actually missed a foul shot) and the fact Mike Green missed plenty of the first half with 2 fouls. They had really good efforts by J'Nathan Bullock and Cedric Jackson, and we'll kindly overlook his 9 turnovers.

So, what does it mean? CSU remains unbeaten in league play at 6-0. Valpo comes to town next, another threat in the league. If CSU gets by Valpo on Saturday, they may be onto something. CSU goes on the road for the next two weeks and it will go a long way in deciding their fate. Too bad they can't enjoy this game for more than an hour or so.

The final, CSU wins, 56-52. And, once again, it's time for my favorite Bill King quote: "There's no time left...there's nothing real in the world any more!...A man would be a fool to ever try and write a drama and make you believe it!"

Meal of Links

It's official. Kids hate clowns. I bet that's why they never rerun "It". That scared the crap out of me.

"Idol" is back on. Look at these "Idol" products. I've already mentioned that "Take the Cake" ice cream...it's good. Soylent green is people.

Fuck Time Warner.

China owns us. Not owes, owns.

Exercise Yard

When was the last time you read Golf Magazine? Silly, it was the time they put that noose on the cover.

Visitor

26 Across: "Chinatown" screenwriter (5 letters) Answer: Towne

No comments: