Sunday, August 26, 2007

Since the Browns were on the road last night, it was time to visit Paul's again. That means 2 TVs, bloodies, pizza, skins and taco salad. Paul lives out by the airport in the line of fire for expansion. So, a lot has changed since we were last there. Some buildings have been razed, others boarded up, and a handful of folks still living there, including him. I called him the "The Last of the Mohicans", but I think Gary phrased it correctly when he said, "I've seen this before...it's Love Canal!". I think that fits better. It reminded me of the urban lady in the PD this past week who has been the only resident on her street for the last seven years. Of course, we decided that Paul would be the last one there, interviewed on TV and perhaps lying down in front of the bulldozer for some sort of attention grab.

Anyhow, we got to see the Indians beat up on the Royals and the Browns take Denver. Interestingly, this week all three Browns quarterbacks played pretty well. I thought, once again, Brady Quinn (with a newly shaved head) played the best, given the skilled players he was paired with. Two beautiful passes Charlie Frye could only dream of throwing. One to Winslow for about 25. Another to Joe Jurevicius for an almost incredible TD, but Joe could only get one foot down.

Feel kind of bad for Derek Anderson. He was a victim of some shabby play calling and on one drive a penalty put him in the hole right away. I think he's gone and it looks like Charlie Frye will start. Pardon my yawn. Quinn in by Game 4...book it.

Defensively, the Browns couldn't stop the run. And Phil Dawson missed another field goal. Don;'t know where this is going once the season starts, but I wish it was better.

The other highlight was some local wrestling production that STO had on after the Indians game. Whoo boy, where to begin. Lousy production values, inept wrestlers, lame crowd adds up to a train wreck of a program that you can't take your eyes from. And most of the sponsors are in the Clark-Fulton and Detroit-Shoreway neighborhoods. I actually drove past Pit Stop Donuts at 44th and Clark this a.m. on my way to Mazzone's Bakery. Very funny stuff.

Meal of Links

Saw "The Bourne Ultimatum"yesterday. Gale and I hoofed it over to Crocker to see it. I had Lemonheads! Jason Bourne is very cool, why in this movie he used a handy towel to kill someone. It makes me wonder what I could use if I had to kill. Looking around the room, I see a Corona maraca key chain I could eye gouge with, a roll of wrapping paper I could block stuff with and use as a hitting weapon, an Oakland Raider hardhat for slugging someone with or protecting my dome, some cable wire for choking. I think I have the appropriate arsenal.

Bourne also seems to have Google Maps embedded in his brain, as he was in London, Turin, and Tangiers creating mayhem, without really asking for any directions at any time. And why was everyone in Tangiers wearing a coat, I thought it was warm there. Excellent car chases. Albert Finney seems to have morphed into Andy Griffith. No one seemed to care about the Julia Stiles character after the mid-point of the movie. Best line from Bourne: "If you were in your office right now we'd be having this conversation face-to-face." Damon, Strathairn and Allen are all good. Looks like a fourth one is possible, if they choose.

God help us. That was Miss South Carolina at Miss Teen USA. BTW, she finished fourth. I'm sure only the final five were asked questions, so it makes you wonder what Miss West Virginia said or looked like.

The two hottest singles in Hollywood are George Clooney and Cameron Diaz. I don't know what it says about me, but I had an odd dream recently where I was friends with George Clooney. So much so, I would just call him Clooney, as in "Listen here, Clooney!". He was in town for some black-tie affair and I got to tag along. Admittedly, very strange. Speaking of singles, here is where Cleveland ranks.

Exercise Yard

There is a new Shawn Kemp. His name is Travis Henry. He has nine children.

Meanwhile, some love for Pro Football Talk.

Visitor

None, as it was a rainy Sunday to start than it was sunny, but somehow I mowed my lawn early enough before it arrived. OK, it's 9:00 a.m. when I did it, wake up, people!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My house being the last outpost for diehard Browns fans in western Brook Park.... I'm sure Big Dog and the Bone Lady will be on TV campaigning against the bulldozers and the evil city out to destroy me and my basement sports bar.PFS