Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gale and I went to the Palace last night to see an old favorite, "The Jerk". Also bumped into Denise in the lobby beforehand.

Well, we had to hear the organist beforehand. But wait, it's actually somebody young. Then the Warner Bros. cartoons start, always a highlight. Unfortunately, three Tweety and Sylvesters. No Yosemite Sam, no Wile E. Coyote at all. Oh, no! To top it off, Sylvester never burned all the way, you know when he turns yellow, which kills me every time. Only a partial one.

The Steve Martin movie has held up rather well, I'd say. Of course, he was born a poor black child and the new phonebooks are in. The part that makes me laugh the hardest is when Bernadette Peters slides a farewell note under the bathroom door to Navin R. Johnson. The ink on the letter runs after it got wet, and Steve Martin is trying to read it through all of the smudges. I don't know, that still slays me.

We went back to Becky's after, as we were there before the movie. That way you get actual ground meat in your burger, instead of the frozen crap. As we were walking in, it's crazy. I was just thinking about that song "Smiling Faces Sometimes" this week. Sure enough, as we were going in, an old urban guy was singing that very part. "Smiling Faces...", and as I held the door open, I told him, "Sometimes they don't tell the truth." He gave me affirmation and laughed heartily.

Then after we ate, random Jacobs Field worker, in a Yankee hat no less, started talking to me. Yes, I am my Mother, who said to me on many occasion, "Why do people come up to me and tell me their life story?". He was complaining about how Dolan treats his employees versus Lerner. They made him take his Yankee cap off. Duh! He also said he never saw anyone drink more beer than Bill Veeck, and I reminded him about Veeck's hollow leg. Then he said no one could drink scotch like Mickey Mantle. Apparently, this guy follows the drinking habits of the stars. I just didn't like the fact the guy asked for "mustard" and "salt", much like I ask for "car" and "bags", I guess. Then when he was done he sorta slid them back in front of me, for no reason. That kinda bugged me.

Meal of Links

Here you go. Weird Animals! We are talking some fugly stuff. Aye-aye makes me say aye-aye. And there it is, the komondor!

Late '70s NYC is all over the tube. VH-1 has "NY "77: The Coolest Year in Hell". It's "The Bronx is Burning" without the Yankees.

I'm goin' to Graceland...Graceland...Memphis, Tennessee. The death of Elvis hits the 30-year mark this week.

Exercise Yard

Jason Sobel runs a pretty good live blog during the PGA this week. Lots of funny stuff.

Visitor

25 Across: Green of "Greg the Bunny" (4 letters) Answer: Seth

No comments: