Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Police were in town last night. Gale and I took in the show at Quicken Loans Arena. Full Disclosure: When it comes to The Police, I am a total fanboy.

The Venue: For this show, The Q was sold out. This was their first appearance in town in what, 23 years or so? Had to go the eBay route for tickets, because the lowers were just too rich for my blood at $200 a pop.

Things I Noticed: Gordon Sumner is still way too good-looking for his age. It was Stewart Copeland's 55th birthday and he had a helluva good time. Front-row folks had some birthday balloons and signs for him. The crew also had birthday balloons for a time on stage for him. I can't imagine anyone having more fun playing in a band than him. Andy Summers had an "Oh My God, They Killed Kenny" script on his guitar strap. With associated drawings of a live and dead Kenny McCormick. But on the video screens, he looked like his hands could use a visit from Madge and her Palmolive. Yikes.

The Tickets: We were in the first row of Section 220 in the uppers. Lots of room, with empty seats on either side. This was located more behind the stage than at a corner of it, with a video screen helping out. The beauty of this location was when the inevitable bathroom break song, "Wrapped Around Your Finger", started, you could literally zip back out and in before it was over. Of course, it allowed me to sing "Wrapped Around My Fingers", as well.

The Sound: Hey, it's the Q, right? I heard the lyrics and music OK, but some of Sting's stage banter got lost in the mix.

The Stage: The setup consisted of an oval stage with a riser about five stairs high running across the back. Video screens up front, on the sides, and in in the back. The riser wasn't used much. Sting took a stroll back there on "Walking on the Moon". And once in a while, some acknowledgement to the back, but not much. Sting was positioned on the left, Summers on the right, with Copeland's drums in the center and accompanying percussion behind his kit. Once more, I had trouble seeing Copeland's head, because of the associated lighting, speakers, etc. Another favorite drummer blocked!

The Music: The initial reviews for this tour scared me. The reworking of some tunes, I thought, was a major concern. At some early shows, they were so far from playing together, it was like "three guys, three cabs" and they were nowhere near being a cohesive band. But lately, they seemed to be hitting some sort of musical stride. This show is not all about Sting. Copeland attacks his drums with the same ferocity he had in the old days. As I listened to Andy Summers play last night, man, he does not get enough credit for his craft.

Setlist:

Message in a Bottle
Synchronicity II
Walking On The Moon
Voices Inside My Head
When The World Is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Driven To Tears
Truth Hits Everybody
Bed's Too Big Without You
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking In Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne

Encore I:
King Of Pain
So Lonely

Encore II:
Every Breath You Take

Encore III:
Next To You

Hard to be disappointed, even if you were a diehard fan, with last night's show. Most, if not all, of the hits were sung. I think "Spirits in the Material World" was the only omission, but I believe this was dropped early in the tour.

Meal of Links

Remember those cable channels you used to watch. Here is why they suck. I understand tastes change, time is a factor and you have more choices, but some of these channels are really bad. Check the comments section, as well.

"The Fifth Element" is really good. Watch it next time you see it in the guide.

This year's version of the "Next Food Network Star" was a mess. On a brighter note for the network, Ruhlman will judge the next Iron Chef, with Michael Symon getting a shot.

Exercise Yard

I see nothing wrong with an all-inclusive ticket to the ballpark that includes food AND beer. Stay classy, Atlanta, and "Hooray, Beer!"

Visitor

12 Down: Slugger who rivaled McGwire (4 letters) Answer: Sosa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the great version of Regatta de Blanc which was segued with Can't Stand Losing You.For being 64 Andy was jumping around like he was still in his early 40's.Stewart Copeland is still the best drummer I've seen live as this was the third time I have seen The Police--------------------------------------JMK

Anonymous said...

I thought it was funny that Stewart was smiling big for the first half of the concert and then he just got tired. He looked like he was out of breathe and was in some kind of pain. But he had his weight lifting gloves on.
I didn't mind sitting behind Sting. After many years of sitting in the bleachers, I can admire a nice butt...and trust me, he has a nice one. I few times I swear we saw a little plumber's crack (there is a God). Worth every penny of the Ebayed ticket.