Saturday, June 30, 2007

Catch-up time, while the Spice Girls raise flags:


I attended some of my niece's T-ball game the other day. Not sure about her future on the diamond, as afterward she stated, "I hate T-Ball." I don't think I can argue that. It may have been the pink glove. Or the fact she pulls her visor way down over her eyes, so she has to tilt her head up to see what's going on. Or it could have been the arms outstretched and then proceeded to turn around in a circle several times to get dizzy, while in the field. Now, I've never seen Josh Barfield do that. I think I'm now hoping for a rock star future for her.

Finally made it to Art's Pub to watch the Tribe last night. Pretty good menu. I opted for the strip steak sammie. The early crowd was rather old as I could have been called "Sonny." When you hear old-timers barking, "The Yankees have won 36 World Series and the Indians have won, what, two?", you know they are old. Of course, the Yankees have not won 36, it's 26. That's why I am there. To criticize. They were also touting the Washington Senators as a ballclub. I heard names like Frank Howard, Roy Sievers, and Eddie Yost. Eddie Yost, for cryin' out loud! Then they tried to say the Senators always had good ballclubs. Uh, no. That's why it was: “First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League.” God, please don't let me be like that when I'm old. "Indians, why that Casey Blake was a helluva ballplayer..."

The NBA Draft was on Thursday. I like the NBA Draft. It moves quicker than the NFL, and the guys and their families always seem so happy they made it. The Cavs didn't have a pick, but they will probably make some moves on the free agent market. BTW, I saw a rating on free agents. If you thought baseball tossed around insane money last winter, how about $10 million for Anderson Varejao? Per season. I know Dan Gilbert has money, but to pay him $10 million and then be slapped with an equal amount on the luxury tax, you are talking essentially $20 million to keep Varejao. No way a smart organization makes that move.

Meal of Links

Summer means an endless wave of lists. This time, TV Guide picks the Top Cult Shows. No "Arrested Development"? Idiots.

The turn of the calendar toward July means only one thing. Fireworks. Here's a guy who gut busted in SoCal for having 2,500 pounds of illegal fireworks. Can I laugh that his middle name is "Stoner"?

Here's a World Clock that tracks tons of stats. Hey, somebody just went to prison. And another. And one more.

Exercise Yard

It really could be the Indians year. Yesterday, they beat the Devil Rays on Ben Francisco's ninth inning homer. That was the third homer in their last at-bat for the win in the last 7 days. They lead the AL with 12 last-inning wins.

These are the types of charmed-life victories that can get you to October.

Visitor

36 Down: "You Are There" host of the '50s (8 letters) Answer: Cronkite

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it when they have a balloon release as they unfurl the flag!!!PFS