Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Virginia Tech shootings are just so sad to deal with. The number 33 sounds like a fairly insignificant number on its own, but when you read the backgrounds of every one of those people and see their photos, it's just heart-wrenching. I've really come to hate that phrase, "wrong place at the wrong time".

I mean, what is so wrong about going to class on a Monday morning? You never expect a madman to show up and start offing people. It's a quite insane thing to even comprehend. I'm disturbed by the blame being tossed at the authorities and I suppose that's somewhat natural. The killer is dead and there's really no one left to blame, so you have all of this anger and sadness and you have to direct it at someone. And I guess the authorities provide an easy target. But let's face it, without any precedent out there, there is no handbook to follow. Unfortunately, it's a scenario that will be cited by the campus security forces henceforth.

Meal of Links

These things always crack me up. It's the difference between how fast food looks in ads and what they actually serve you.

I haven't seen "24" in a while. It appears Jack Bauer has gone daft.

Damn. Pearl is funnier than Will Ferrell in this clip.



Exercise Yard

What sports guy do you drink like? I'm not sure I fit any of these, because of shots and drinking games. I think I'm most like the first sentence of the Tiger Woods description, "A completely unstoppable drinker, as well as a lone drinker. He will sit by himself at the end of the bar and drink more than you, faster than you, for a longer amount of time than you, and still be more sober than you at the end of the night."

Visitor

31 Across: Assumed family name in punk rock (6 letters) Answer: Ramone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the killings at VTech. Since most of us have been to college, it hits a raw nerve. The only thing sadder is watching ABC's This Week every Sunday and seeing the names of all the dead soldiers. Last week there were 40!!! And yet, we barely hear about these losses each week. Even though they are not the same, it is still lives lost - familes will never be the same. "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted."

Anonymous said...

After seeing some of the video and pictures he made one mistake and that was he did not start with himself-----JMK