Monday, January 15, 2007

The verdict is in on the crosswords. I'm not sure what to make of the vote, but the LA Times won over the NYTimes. I understand there is a rhythm and nuance to the same crosswords from a syndicate over the years. But I am amazed the NYTimes lost out. I'm not sure it's because it's tough, because as a town, we basically our admitting our stupidity. I did 11 of the 12 that were offered, with last Saturday's a true monster. It's something else.

I'd like to think it's because if you've liked the NYTimes puzzles, you've probably sought them all along from different sources, including the Times itself or online. And that's the problem with the NYTimes Syndicate. The Sunday puzzles are a week behind, the dailies are 6 weeks behind. For instance our January 13th puzzle was in the NYTimes on December 2. So, there is a lag time if you actually had a copy of the Times.

Needless to say, today's was really easy by comparison.

Meal of Links

I am so glad the Kinsale Tavern is not even close to where I live. I fear I would never leave.

Leo Sayer goes berserk on "Celebrity Big Brother". Over underwear. Yes, underwear.

Looks like the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest was awash with bad results. Water, a killer! Who knew?

Exercise Yard

Tennis hooligans. Serbs against Croats. That's novel. Say, Let's hope Marcos Baghdatis goes far this year. His fans are nuts.

Visitor

42 Across: Queen of Soul Aretha (6 letters) Answer: Franklin

No comments: