Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The President came out for another of those time-honored traditions, the State of the Union. It was not a bad speech, especially as speeches by Bush go, and especially by someone hated so much. And that son of a gun had a gracious tip of the hat to the Madame Speaker at the beginning. Seriously, he didn't have to do that.

A couple of things intrigued me, insurance and immigration reform. The "I-I-I Guy" must have been happy. But do these things ever get done? I wish someone has tracked these things. As the speech continued, however, the applause got less and less, and more partisan.

The turd in the punchbowl was obviously Iraq. And even though he did a commendable job of explaining what's going on, the sentiment is so against him, he may have done nothing more than to buy some time. And very little of it.

Meal of Links

I live in a Cleveland neighborhood described as "stable". Isn't that one step above "critical"? Mayor Jackson reveals his plan for the future of all of the neighborhoods. Great, we get greenspace by some landfill I never heard of. Disappointed in "corporate business park" for Burke Airport. Bulldoze that damn thing already! You know, for the kids.

Boy, it's been a rough go for ESPN's Sean Salisbury. Last week, it was pictures of his penis on his cellphone. This week, he apparently said the word "Jew" in describing Peyton Manning's game on Sunday. ESPN says he said, "Chew". Context doesn't make sense either. Unless, of course, he used the phrase "nickel-and-dime" later on. Oh, he did? Peyton said, "He didn't say Jew, he's saying mooooo-vers."

The Academy Award nominations came out today. Crap, I gotta see "Dreamgirls". Need a female accomplice for that one.

Exercise Yard

Sonny Vaccaro leaves Reebok, Outside of Michael Jordan, probably the biggest name in developing the culture of shoes.

Visitor

12 Across: Jennifer of "The Wedding Planner" (5 letters) Answer: Lopez

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did Bush and his speech writers forget to give the state of New Orleans last night? I loved the Webb response - best opposition speech I have ever heard.
BTW - I've already seen Dreamgirls. I think the right people got the nominations and thought the movie did not deserve one. In this case the Academy got it right.