Thursday, January 25, 2007

Last night, I think I may have been one of perhaps 10 people who got the Ron Turcotte joke on "Knights of Prosperity". A guy was looking excitedly for tools, when Donal Logue said, "Don't gallop so fast there, Ron Turcotte!". Turcotte was Secretariat's jockey. Logue is Canadian, as is Turcotte. Beautiful. The show, however, is getting murdered in the ratings (maybe because of jokes like that), especially with that little show "A.I." as competition. Oh well, it's another one in a long line of my favorites that the networks couldn't handle properly.

Speaking of "A.I.", I saw the commercials this week and could not understand why Joan Collins was a judge. Seriously, I didn't see Simon and thought maybe she was the only Brit they could find. Today, I found out it wasn't Joan, but Carole Bayer Sager who was sitting in. I had some sound troubles with the cable earlier this week, thank God the picture is still clear, eh?

Meal of Links

"PC Guy" solves six mysteries of the universe. Before his operation next week.

Did this even make the news locally? Two Cleveland elections officials were convicted of felonies for rigging the 2004 election. I believe they avoided a recount by preselecting ballots so that the results were a percentage that avoided mandating that recount.

If you want to be clued in to what the Oscars are really about, read Nikki Finke. She has her annual preview up.

Exercise Yard

I was thinking of Jeff Garcia's tenure as Browns QB and was wondering was it as bad as we thought it was, or was it a guy who could not fit into the system here? Remember, that was Terry Robiskie's vaunted offensive system, his last year as O.C., BTW. What I remember, because it was a blur, was a guy running around in the backfield, because the rush was all over him, before he could throw. And he had no arm strength, either. So, let's look back.

Started off with a win against the Ravens, and had Rex Grossman-like numbers in game 2 against Dallas. You know, the game where Winslow got hurt. On special teams. Basically had Charlie Frye numbers against the Giants, a loss. Ditto for a win against the Redskins. So, they were 2-2. Decent numbers in a Steeler loss, followed by great stats in a Cincy win. Then came the memorable OT loss against the Eagles.

Into the bye week, the record was 3-4. Garcia threw 9 TDs and 7 INTs up to that point. He was 104 out of 182 for 1382 yards. I don't have sack numbers, although I recall that was a problem. After the bye, was the Sunday night Jamal Lewis "feet" game, a loss. Then the bottom fell out. I believe there was an injury and not much playing time the rest of the way. Eventually, Butch Davis got canned and then we needed to find out if Holcomb or McCown was the future. Did I just write that? BTW, his Philly numbers this year, in the last 7 games were: 116 out of 188 for 1309 yards, 10 TDs and 2 INTs and sacked 6 times.

I took a look at Charlie Frye's numbers through the first 7 games this year. He was 139 out of 223 for 1329 yards. He threw 7 TDs and 11 INTs. He was sacked 24 times. The Browns record was 2-5 through the first 7 games.

Not sure what the numbers mean and not trying to do revisionist history. I guess when we look at any internal spin on Frye by the Browns, he compares favorably to a widely perceived as awful Jeff Garcia.

Visitor

53 Down: Oater actor Jack (4 letters) Answer: Elam

No comments: