Saturday, January 06, 2007

Friday, check. Monsoon, check. Pizza crave, check. When those things align, it's Map Room on the docket! I really like the Map Room, so Gale and I had our chaperone hats at the ready and went down there. If you get there early, there is some, yet minimal, competition for the hat-wearing. After about 8:00, we so own that privilege.

As I've said, this joint is the most normal of any Warehouse District watering holes. They have XM's Lucy channel playing early, then some recorded efforts later, including Mr. Johnny Cash. And the menu, while not extensive, by any means, is pretty good. Hot dogs are yummy, pizza is out-of-control good, although I have yet to see anyone eating a sub there. I think we counted 60 bottles of Vodka there, with all the flavors. And the beer is cheap. And they have plasma TVs, where you can read the closed captioning on the Cavs game. Step-away flushes on the urinals, for that turnpike feeling, as well.

Meal of Links

Well, the first week of the NYTimes crosswords is over and I'm happy to say I nailed them. Friday's was harder than Saturday's. As I said, these make you think, they're punny, and there are NYC references you need to be aware of. And to channel Jon Stewart in "Wordplay", "Shortz, I see you working!". These clues from Saturday show the main difference between the LA Times and the NYTimes:

Across:

1 See people (7) I think "Goes out" or something like that. Wrong! Bishops.
16 Either of two track stars (7) Track & field same names? Duh. Nope. Al Unser!
28 Code on some NYC-bound luggage (3) LA: guaranteed JFK. NY: Nah. LGA!
30 It may be fit for a queen (8) I'm thinking some headgear. Er...Bedsheet!

46 Actress Lords (5) Thanks for this easy one. Traci!

Down:

41 Pitching stats? (7) LA: Definitely baseball. NY: Think sales. Yup. Ad rates!
51 "The Wizard ___" (4) LA: Most definitely "of Oz". NY: Come on. Right. "of Id"!

Heidi, I know you can't read, but put this on your shopping list. Perhaps, those Christmas presents will fit now.

I noticed there has been a new ad from Home Depot running lately. I swear the Mom/Wife in the ad is the attorney from "Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim, Taft" from "Seinfeld".

Exercise Yard

The start of the NFL Playoffs today and well, I am gonna watch a lot of football soon.

Colts/Chiefs

Take the Colts to beat the spread. People have forgotten the Browns shredded the Chief defense. Yes, the Browns. Amazing how many jumped to the Chiefs this week. Go the other way.

Cowboys/Seahawks

Take the Cowboys. I can't figure out either team, but I think the Cowboys will be OK. If not, we'll hear how Pro-Bowler Tony Romo is a young QB, still learning the game.

Eagles/Giants

Eagles should win, even with Jeff Garcia, because the G-Men have Manning the Lesser. Take the points, however, with the Giants.

Patriots/Jets

Patriots will romp. Mangenius did a great job getting the Jets here. I think the Pats are ready for a run.

Visitor

35 Across: Faux family name in rock and roll (6 letters) Answer: Ramone

No comments: